External blower instead of internal fan

Hello all!

I have been tossing around the idea of getting a filter for the forge and moving it upstairs…but was concerned about the noise it makes. Pretty high pitched when running.

I also have an inline blower for my vent system that pulls 300cfm. Since that is more than the GlowForge fan does on its own, I thought I would test out how quiet the machine was with the “air filter attached” option set. I can’t believe how loud that internal fan is.

My question is this…if I use my 300cfm inline vent fan, is it okay to leave the internal off? The few test runs I’ve done haven’t been any different smoke/smell wise in the house. Done acrylic, wood and aluminum…all the same so far.

To my brain, it seems like it should be fine. But I don’t know if the switch turns anything else on/off.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

That is how I run Beamer.

and yes that internal fan is loud!

1 Like

I got the inline fan just so I could turn off the internal fan…I removed it too.

2 Likes

Have you had any issues with removing your internal fan? My GF was flaming a lot, so I thought my internal fan was blocked or old. I added the AC Infinity 6" and I am still having the same flaming issues. I was thinking about removing the internal fan, but now I can’t get the flames to stop, and can’t run the GF at all safely. Wondering if it is something else. Intake is clear, and air assist fan is clean. I cleaned all the lenses. There are not any system warnings, so I am just not sure what to do.

No clue. I don’t get flames. The only time I have any issue is when my air assist needs cleaning. I removed the exhaust fan because it was blocking air flow for my inline fan.

1 Like

Is the air assist blowing smoke toward the front of the machine? If not that can cause flaring up.

1 Like

Have you checked that the main lens is not “cup side up”? a very easy thing to happen and causes a lot of flames. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Now that sounds like a fun project…was it simple to get to?

Simple for a basic not so much if you have a pro.

I’ve got the plus…so I assume it’s like the basic then…

1 Like

It’s not too difficult. Here in my adventure. I removed the fan completely a bit later.

Yes! Just put your new fan at the end of the exhaust hose so it’s pulling all the air out and not pushing it down the hose.

2 Likes

Yes! Save your ears!!!

Better still, if you’ve got a basic - take the fan out all together - it improves flow and you don’t have to clean it.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.