#fail. This, my friends, is why I need my Glowforge

The sign is BE-A-U-TI-FUL!

2 Likes

Rule number one with a table saw…

Stand to the side of any boards going into said saw.

Rule number two…

See, follow, and adore, Rule number one.

learned about that in shop class with Mr. Constantino. he had a very enlightening demo on kick backs. Which we observed through a chain link fence. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yes, I wish there had been more shop classes to teach rules like this. It’s self correcting behavior though you can bet I’ll never stand in the line of fire again.

3 Likes

shop class is a thing of the past I’m afraid.

it is pretty eye popping to be an 8th grader and seeing a board fly across the room.

3 Likes

They didn’t even really let us play in engineering school which was a major disappointment. How can you learn to design things when you don’t even know how to build?! I’ve been going out of my way to learn to make all manor of things with all manor of tools just to make sure I know what I’m asking other people to do when I push a design out

3 Likes

I’ve had one experience with kickback and I’ll never forget it. I had a piece of 1/4 plywood that was 12" wide by 8’ long. I decided that I could just carefully hold the long side and not worry about the part between the blade and the fence. Well, at the end of the cut, the piece climbed up the blade and was flung spinning right at me (back and to the left of the blade), smacking me HARD at the base of my right pointer finger. Immediate swelling and bruising but didn’t break the finger. Took a couple of weeks for it to go back to normal and finish the project though. I found out later that AFTER hitting me, it went across the room and pierced another piece of 1/4 plywood. I have that second piece up on a wall to remind me to be smarter about my table saw and how things can change in an instant.

10 Likes

I best find some wood and get to knocking on it…I’m so rarely on the table saw that I’ve had nothing bad like that happen but with enough ignorant confidence I’m sure I’m figure out a way to. I love using the Makerspace big table saw, but when i use mine and it has those stupid claw things to prevent kickback but it frickin leaves scratches and gouges in my pine boards. Cheap Harbor Freight piece of doodah that it is. LoL. I need to take them off. What could possibly go wrong. Haha

4 Likes

shop-made featherboards and push sticks are a great project, not least because they make you think. I also mostly try to stand out of the line of fire of possible kickbacks when I can (this is one of the few things that’s made easier by being left-handed in a righthanded world).

3 Likes

Just noted something about the design of the sign. Just make sure you don’t put some type of scent on that pine tree there. Could land you in some hot water. :smiley:

6 Likes

I do not think they own all instances of ‘pine tree’. They might own all instances of “symmetrical pine-tree shaped thing soaked in toxic chemicals that smell nice to some folks and make other folks gag”.

9 Likes

Only thing I can think of when I see them things:

5 Likes

It’s called a rip fence for a reason :wink: never cross cut on the rip fence…

Also when either jointing or planing, make sure your piece is the minimum size. I was jointing one day some years ago, on something stupid small. The front end tiped forward and caught between the bed and blade. I’m not sure what happened , but I got luck and no blood. But I think I almost broke one or two fingers. Hurt like heck.

Shapers scare me. Those I try to stay away from, but have to occasionally use.

PS. Awesome sign!

PPS @jbv rofl

2 Likes

I apparently missed this whole pine tree joke. I promise to become more of a regular. lol PS I forgot to mention that once I lay the pieces in there is no shadow. You can’t see the engrave at all… it was so that all of those tiny ass things would line up and glue flat on that wonky weathered wood. The signs I normally make are in script and one big thing to glue on so going small was a challenge and it look clean.

10 Likes

That is a real cool use if the engrave for placement. Bookmarked.

1 Like

I am going to post some other woodworking hacks I do with it. lol This forum will be the place that actually can appreciate and use them.

10 Likes

looking forward to it! I used engraving for placement sometimes too.

In some instances, if I want a faint outline, ill do two engraves, one larger than the letters, like an outline, and another one on top of it to hold the letters in the middle of it.

nice work btw!

3 Likes

Sorry about having to make 2 trips but this is FANTASTIC … how can I gawk at all your work if your website isn’t up and running! :slight_smile: would love to see more pictures … and I now want to make paint too!

5 Likes

I am doing product shots and hopefully will be done this weekend with those. I have had an Etsy shop for years, and I have put it on vacation mode for months to totally redo it and offer totally different things… so I normally have an online presence but it’s almost done. I can’t afford it to not be much longer. lol Thanks for wanting to look! I have a whole collection of original art and vintage items that I am excited to present to the world!

11 Likes

I’m so happy to hear that! I can’t wait to see what you’ve got coming in your store.

12 Likes

When you get your page setup, please drop us a link in ‘Show & Tell’!

8 Likes