Fan Not Working

My fan that leads to the air filter doesn’t seem to be working, nothing is clogging it and it is clean, for the most part. The machine is working properly otherwise. The smoke just isn’t clearing the machine and that is causing my cuts to not cut all the way through. The other two fans that work closer with the laser are clean and working fine.

I have only had my glowforge since Feburary. It seems like the parts that need to be cleaned the most, such as the fans, are the hardest parts to clean since there are no specific cleaning supplies approved by glowforge.

Is it possible that your air filter is full and needs replacing?

2 Likes

It would be easy to clog the filter in that time, the idea of a sort of vacuum cleaner is good but if you can run the exhaust out a window it would be better as the filter can hold nowhere near as much as a vacuum cleaner. And it is a lot pricer to replace a filter.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into this snag.

When your Glowforge and Compact Filter are properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you notice a strong, unpleasant or irritating odor when printing, or see smoke, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034142593-Excessive-Smoke-or-Fumes-During-Print

I’d like to take a look at an image of your filter cartridge. Would you mind sending over a photo of the top of the filter cartridge?

1. Turn off and unplug your Compact Filter
    The power switch is located on the back, next to the cord. Turn it off first, then unplug it from the wall.
  2. Open Compact Filter
    There are four latches holding the top of the Compact Filter in place. Lift the bottom of all four latches to release them.
  3. Take a picture
    Without removing it, take a picture of the top of the cartridge seated in the Compact Filter and send it in to us.

Once we can review this image, we’ll send over the next best steps!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.