Faux Stained Glass with Acrylic

Since I have been trying out different things with acrylic, I wanted to see if I could make something that looked like stained glass with clear printed acrylic. The colors are printed on clear acrylic and sandwiched between black acrylic for the lines.

I am excited that the first test one came out as well as it did. I am thinking of so many ideas to use this technique with.

The printed side of the clear acrylic has a matte finish.

The non-printed side maintains the gloss finish of the acrylic.

Side view. I probably want to try and get thinner acrylic so it doesn’t end up as thick.

56 Likes

Are you coloring the acrylic with a UV printer?

11 Likes

Sublimation printing on cast acrylic.

13 Likes

Nice result - and less expensive than UV.

10 Likes

Cool effect and thank you for sharing the idea about simple color printing via sublimation. I thought those were some strange colors for acrylic! Since you mention trying thinner acrylic so that the end result isn’t as thick, have you tried cutting the black frame, mirroring the colors and cutting each area separately, then pressing the reverse-cut pieces into the black frame? Often that is enough of a friction fit to keep it together without breaking acrylic!

21 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I just started with acrylic, so I am open to trying new techniques.

9 Likes

Nice work! I’m inspired to dig out my old stained glass designs and renew them in acrylic.

13 Likes

Wow, that is very well done. Thanks for sharing your process!

12 Likes

Nice technique! Thanks for sharing your process.

10 Likes

Awesome project! Nice job.

5 Likes

Very nice! I’ve used acrylic to do faux stained glass, but I used glass paints for it. It was a lot of work making the lines, even with using the black “liner” paint. I really like your method.

Again, another reason for me to get a sublimation printer!

14 Likes

Looks great! Sublimation is a fun option.

2 Likes

I feel like you could combine methods… use the black acrylic for the “lead” and color clear acrylic with glass paint.

I wonder how thinner acrylic would stand up to the sublimation. I already find it difficult to keep the acrylic from warping while sublimating it.

5 Likes

I was wondering the same about the thinner acrylic. I do have to be vigilant when sublimating acrylic. It needs to be transferred quickly from the heat press to cool under something heavy to help avoid warping.

4 Likes

I have a bad habit of getting fingerprints on it while it’s hot. :woman_facepalming:t4:

3 Likes

That’s a terrific idea! I’ll have to do that!

3 Likes

I love working with alcohol inks–they can give results similar to fancy stained glass (the real stuff). Yes, I am a sucker for organized chaos especially if there’s color involved.

6 Likes

I am a fan of alcohol ink pens on clear acrylic as well…

16 Likes

Brilliant! Where is My Lady of Chianti?

1 Like

That looks amazing. I may need to try that too!