Favorite Christmas Movie Ornament

Mine too! Kind of hard to find that one now.

1 Like

HAHA!!! Best Christmas ornament ever!!! And it’s Not Christmas until I watch that movie!

Ladies and Gentlemen, maybe this will solve the problem. This week The American Film Institute posted this video on Youtube:

It’s worth watching the entire video as McTiernan’s explanation is long and incredibly complicated. Still, the essence is this: yes, it’s a Christmas movie that is a repudiation of authoritarianism, as well as the excesses of capitalism. Most fans won’t go that deep into the movie’s themes and philosophy, enjoying it for the expletive-laden action romp that it is on the surface. Still, it is fascinating to know that McTiernan thought about the film’s themes quite intensely.

It’s probably why the movie has stood the test of time, remaining an action favorite over 30 years after its release. The video also means those who insist Die Hard is a Christmas movie can finally win the debate, citing the director’s own words to any doubters. And its vindication for the makers of the A Die Hard Christmas: The Illustrated Holiday Classic , a bloody but charming storybook which turns the movie into a rhyming Christmas story. So there you have it: Die Hard IS a Christmas movie. The director himself confirmed it.

4 Likes

I used your idea to make earrings for my daughter…

He sneaks around a tower at night trying to avoid Alan Rickman.

It’s a Harry Potter movie.

1 Like

I’m inspired by your DH ornament! I made one years ago from cardboard… WHY didn’t I think to upgrade? (busily working on new xmas project) Btw - fave Christmas movie in our house. :upside_down_face:

Except that it is. He’s there to be with his family for Christmas. He wouldn’t have been there for most of the other things and it would make no sense for her to be retiring. Sure, you could create other reasons for him to be there, but the Grinch could be wearing bunny ears and stealing eggs, too.

Jingle Bells was written for Thanksgiving and yet it is widely (in the US) considered a Christmas song. There are no rules. If people generally associate it with a holiday, it becomes a part of the culture.

3 Likes