Favorite ProofGrade Materials?

I’m working on my first PG order and was wondering what people had purchased that they particularly liked. I know that everyone’s needs will be different but I am looking to experiment with this first order and thought knowing what others like might help with my (and others) order.

Any comments about PG materials that people have in hand would be great.

One question, I want to make a bag with a handle to carry very lightweight crafting materials that are about 10x24x1. I don’t want the bag all floppy nor do I want it to weigh 10lbs. Any thoughts about the medium v. thick leather?

Another one, has anyone dyed PG leather? What was your experience?

3 Likes

The Walnut (hardwood and plywood) is freaking gorgeous.

7 Likes

I like the walnut too. Most of your free sample order will be maple, so you can try a piece or two of the cherry and walnut to see how you like them.

The colored acrylics are fantastic…beautiful, thick, creamy things. :yum:

If you will be prototyping boxes, a lot of the draftboard. I like the medium thickness for most things.

For an unfloppy bag, you’ll want to go with the thick leather. The thin is very floppy, and since what I picked up as a PRU tester has changed names, I’m not sure if I’ve got medium or thin leather here.

4 Likes

I’ve dyed PG leather. It worked well and just like the other non PG veg tanned leather I’ve got.

I agree with Jules. The medium and light are fairly flexible. The thick is what you want if you want rigidity. The other way to go is to sandwich bag stiffener between the leather and your lining.

5 Likes

Tons of Maple Ply. I use it 5x more than anything else, if not more. Its easily the best for engraving photos/images etc. Its fun to have a good sampling of stuff to play with, but once I got those stocks up, the maple ply was the one I was constantly ordering.

7 Likes

If you plan on doing a lot of engraving the Basswood is very nice.

2 Likes

Same here. I just love the contrast that you get on maple. The other woods are very nice too but obviously the contrast is going to be lower.

2 Likes

What are the weights of the thin, medium, and thick leather PG material? Also the sheet sizes that are for sell. I would love to have access to the store even if I could not order anything until I get my “golden” email.

The shop doesn’t tell you the leather weight. There are designs in the catalog that call for PG that put a weight in parens, so we could deduce from that or from the thickness.

Thin is approx. 1/48" and comes in 5" x 10" sheets
Medium is approx 3/64" and comes in 5" x 10" and 12" x 20".
Thick is approx. 3/32" and comes in 5" x 10" and 12" x 20".

So I think that’s 1-2oz, 2-3oz., 5-6oz. shading to the light side which it seems to.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information. The forum is my source of information and operating tips and tricks for the day my GF finally arrives. Thanks to all of you that willingly share their experiences and knowledge.

2 Likes

I really hope GF plans on bringing two color acrylics to the PG store!

4 Likes

Seconded! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the main thing I have to buy from other places right now. GF is missing out on acrylic sales by not having any.

2 Likes

I would like thin acrylic as I have found it really useful in layering etc… More exotic woods would be cool as well.

4 Likes

Waiting for :proofgrade: Cedar

5 Likes

Yes!

4 Likes

The walnut is beautiful cut, but the times I’ve used it for engraves, they just disappear into the walnut color. So my vote is for maple plywood.

REALLY hoping that GF starts stocking more acrylic. Somehow they’re way cheaper than my local supplier. I guess I need to try to look into a wholesale account somewhere as that’s the bulk of what I’m cutting so far. (which the GF is cutting BEAUTIFULLY, I should add!)

1 Like

Really glad to hear that, and thanks for the feedback!

Two color acrylics are the only things I have to buy elsewhere at this time. Hopefully when they get a chance, I hope @dan or @bailey see this thread again. I love the two color acrylics!

What would be fun to try would be a 1/16" (per color) a triple color acrylic for things like “coins” or other things that you want to engrave on two sides — think of an Oreo cookie (brown cookie, white middle, brown cookie) – you engrave on the outside of the brown sides into the middle white (it might have to be a teensy bit thicker??) and you can have a double sided coin!

I had wondered if you can glue/adhere two sheets together and then engrave & cut — but I figured the adhesive would interfere. Thoughts? Experiences?

3 Likes

I see it! :slight_smile: They are very cool. Thanks for the feedback!