Feathered Headband for Gkid

If you hang out on the forum enough, you might already know that our 10yo granddaughter was visiting for a few days while on spring break when the world went into COVID lockdown. Her parents decided she’s probably better off here, so she has remained, and as a result I’m relearning fourth grade and getting a lot more exercise than I’m used to, because she’s a VERY active outdoorsy sort of girl!

So anyway, the other day she and Bop (my hubs) were exploring in the woods and she found a bunch of cool feathers. She brought them home and asked if we could make a headband to put them in.

Well, in my ongoing quest to be the AWESOMEST grandma, instead of reaching for the construction paper I dug into my leather scraps and took a brief break from making ear savers. This is the result:

Now I kinda want one!

EDIT: Well, darn. I just found out these are hawk feathers, and it’s illegal to possess them. Oops! It will be a good homeschooling lesson, and then I guess we’ll give them a decent burial and go find some less controversial feathers for her new headband.

51 Likes

Looks beautiful!

1 Like

Niiiice! Adventure awaits.

1 Like

You absolutely are the awesomest grandma!

2 Likes

That is SO cute! What a great idea…and yes, I’m sure you have rightfully won the AG award! That would be so much fun to make one for yourself, too.

3 Likes

I think you acquired Awesomest Grandma a long time ago, but this sure cements the notion!

2 Likes

AG for sure.

2 Likes

It’s the perfect accent for the tiger outfit. Reminds me of this:

10 Likes

She’s nuts about tigers like I was about horses, at her age. :slight_smile: And she LOVES Calvin and Hobbes–I introduced her very early on, and she has the complete collection, thanks to one of her uncles. :wink:

8 Likes

So cool! She is so lucky!

4 Likes

You are blessed to be able to share this time with her. I am sure you will both recall this difficult time in our lives in a very different perspective than the rest of us. Congratulations!

6 Likes

very awesome head band!

My Calvin and Hobbes story…

I loved that comic. First started reading it in Birmingham AL. when I got my first job out of college. IT WAS TWO MONTHS before they showed HOBBES as a stuffed toy tiger. I was reading that strip and thinking how does this kid have a talking tiger makes zero sense? what the heck is the premise?

then he finally gets tucked into bed with hobbes by mom. it was like OMG. now this crazy strip makes sense.

5 Likes

Nicely done! You certainly don’t do anything halfway!

3 Likes

She will indeed look back on this time as Halcyon Days as indeed many now our age would wish such a time if it did not come with the context of the rest of the world.

3 Likes

not just the time. the memories she is going to have from this. OMG, she will tell her kids the stories over and over. as she fires up her glowforge series 10xvp, and synthesizes a pet cat for her grand kids some day.

6 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

Grandma of the year again! That headband is awesome. I agree with the others - she will remember this time fondly. She is lucky! Illegal? Hmmm… who would have thought?

2 Likes

Both headband and granddaughter are beautiful.

2 Likes

It’s to keep them from being poached for their feathers. The fines are staggering – up to $50K and 5 years in prison!

8 Likes

I get that. Makes total sense. At the same time, they were FOUND, hiking in the woods. The world is crazy.

Really cool headband! Hoping I can be a super cool “Opa” (a long time from now)… like, cooler than the Dad I am, at least in the eyes of my kids… :expressionless:

2 Likes