Feature Request: File folder organization system for GF app

An amazing feature that I have seen suggested prior to this is a file folder organization system for the file storage in the Glowforge app. I am creating a new topic because it still hasn’t been implemented. the most recent I’ve found is in 2019.

5 Likes

It has been discussed much more recently than this, but worth another post since so many people have been asking for this for so long.

1 Like

I don’t get why you’d even worry about files in the app… the internet and all storage thereof is going to crash or be inaccessible at one point or another. Self-storage and organization is a much better solution than online.

4 Likes

I definitely use ‘self-storage’ and organization so I don’t have to worry about the safety of my files being held responsible by anyone other than myself. That being said, having organizational folders on the GF dashboard would be huge.

2 Likes

I had hoped for something like this in the past as well, but if it came out today it would probably get stuffed behind the paywall anyway.

1 Like

Obviously you should keep copies of your projects locally, but in the GFUI, it also stores settings an positioning which can be very important for repeatability.

1 Like

Stored settings are great as long as the file is being repeated within a short timeframe of the original, using the exact same materials. As a machine ages, power requirements change, materials change, weather conditions change, all of which require adjusted settings. I’d rather confirm settings on a small test piece of the current materials and machine health, than trust that everything is good and waste material.

1 Like

I never test. I have used it enough that I can eyeball the material and determine what settings are needed 95% of the time. I have erred in that once in a great while, but not usually. And “short timeframe” is a little subjective as I have ran the same project months apart without any issues. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree this would be a very helpful feature. We’d likely all use it differently, but it would make finding files so much easier!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the suggestion! That’s a great idea and I’ll share it with the team noting that this has been requested again!