Filter cartridge

Has anyone rebuilt one of the GF air filter system cartridges? There must be a better option than throwing it away. Given the weight, it’s a carbon based system… 20+ lbs and looking at it, it has a pleated filter, then the carbon, then a liner at the bottom.

thanks in advance

1 Like

I think there’s been some discussion in here of using a prefilter to make it last longer. Try that as a search term and see if it gets you started.

Yeah here’s some.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I did the research on the pre-filter before running my first filter and got over 100 hours and the last one I got 150 hours out of it cutting mostly baltic birch ply.

2 Likes

Thanks… I pulled my first one apart and replaced the charcoal with about 30-35lbs, retaining the material at the bottom and vacuuming out the top filter. I’ve been using a pre-filter since getting the AFS so my top filter is in decent shape… and I’m not sure the best way to replace it… the charcoal was the easiest and it’s doing the bulk of the work.

1 Like

Yeah the charcoal is really important for toxicity, as I’m sure you know. I wonder if there’s a easy way to empirically test whether or not your charcoal is working properly? A way to know when it’s time to replace it?

1 Like

When I studied this a couple of years ago, folks were weighing the charcoal from time to time and there was a calculation that helped you determine, but I purchased a .5 micron counter from Banggood for around 35 and it tells me. Well worth the to be safe, especially with me rebuilding it.

1 Like

You can disassemble it and clean/replace each of the filter layers. I have finally ordered a replacement, after almost 10 months, so I have a spare on hand because I feel replacement time is nearing. When I finally have to replace mine, I will be disassembling and refurbishing it.

1 Like

Thanks… I need to source some charcoal to use… I found 40 pounds on Amazon for $90 but it was pellets, not granulated. Also, GF has some round piece mixed in with the charcoal… do you know what that is?

If you find a good source for activated charcoal, please pass it along.

Clean your charcoal.

OK, doing some research it looks like there are various ways, but I only remember baking as a viable way to clean carbon. The most reasonable process seems to be baking the carbon in a single level on a baking sheet for 1 hour at 300 degrees. Does this sound about right?

Also, have you been able to determine what the round pieces are in the GF air filter mix?

Thanks for the tip on cleaning it! I did not think it worked, so I bought… I’m going to take apart my second spent cartridge and bake the charcoal and give it a try, but please let me know if 1hr at 300 is correct.

Thanks again!

Also, do you clean the pleated filter beyond vacuuming it out from both sides?

I would do this in a very small batch at first to be sure that it doesn’t ignite. Apparently carbon can ignite at widely varying temperatures, I doubt you want a mound of activated carbon catching fire in your oven.

Further, if this is supposed to drive the volatile (harmful) compounds out of the carbon, that means that your oven (and soon thereafter your lungs) will be exposed to them, yes?

I’m not sure how I would proceed here.

Since the charcoal collects mostly aromatic particles, personally, I would rinse the charcoal in clear water before drying and then baking. 300° for an hour should be good. Pleated elements are typically cleaned by a combination of vibration and vacuuming, lightly racking the filter against a hard surface, like a workbench should do, followed by vacuuming from the intake side then the exit side last.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Thanks and agree… That makes sense and I’ll do it outside on the gas grill. I’ve read from multiple companies that washed carbon in a conventional oven at 500 degrees will not flare up, so I will rinse it first, which will put some moisture in it. Flare up could be caused by the dust, so washing would help.
Thanks again!

2 Likes

+1

This is almost always a good approach when you need to heat something in the oven that might be a problem in the oven. I do my acrylic warming for bending or slumping and even annealing in the gas grill. Just make sure you’ve got a good thermometer - the standard grill ones are often error-prone.

1 Like

Great point! I’ll use my Thermoworks infrared… It works great on the Ooni pizza oven.

OK, I think I’m set for today… 2nd spent filter that’s opened up, throw away aluminum pans, old strainer to wash, good thermometer… anything else?

Also, what are the round pieces mixed in the charcoal? Looks like peppercorns…

“Well, I’ve got a couple of nice cuts of acrylic out on the barbie, slow roasting.” :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

2 Likes