Final GF table choices

Yes, and that you didn’t waste time on a ridiculously over-designed bracket like I did:

There is some benefit to affixing them in some way, though. Without that it would be really easy to knock a shelf off.

BTW, how did you call with the thin material in that top shelf in your design? I went with the same Ikea tabletop and found the material was REALLY thin everywhere except the edges. I am a bit worried that the top bracket will come loose.

2 Likes

But it’s really cool!

I don’t remember, TBH. I remember worrying about where to put the screws, but then I either found some meat or I just stopped worrying and learned to love the weight of the Glowforge keeping everything rigid.

Did you wind up getting it? How has it held up? I’m looking for something exactly like this.

This looks absolutely amazing! I purchased the Linnmon table before receiving the GF. I sure wish I had seen this forum post before I set it up.

Do you think it will be too wobbly to put the GF on it? I plan on putting against the wall by a window.

Here’s a pic. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/linnmon-adils-table-white__0189130_PE343590_S4.JPG

You could buy angle iron brackets, some anchors (or use a stud finder), and screw it into the wall if it’s wobbly…

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking! I really like that flat file storage Ikea hack shown here, but I don’t know how I feel about the glue securing the short Capita legs.

I was thinking I may buy this drawer unit with casters and somehow attach the Linnmon table top to it: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/alex-drawer-unit-on-casters-white__63414_PE170984_S4.JPG

Any thoughts?

I use an alex for storage, it works really well. Thumbs up!

I now have two ALEX drawer systems and love them. They can fit the Proofgrade material easily and they store a LOT of material.

My next project is to use the Proofgrade Veneer to make labels for each drawer!

2 Likes

My favorite perk of the ALEXes is that they aren’t quite table height (My gf lives at counter height), so I use the top surface to store things that are too big.

Someone’s going to ask, so: It’s 26" tall according to their site, but 26.25 according to my tape measure.

This is what I have –

I wonder if I also need this? It would be awesome for scraps, which are a storage hassle for me–

OK so EDIT: that second unit, the skinny one… I wanted to know drawer interior dimensions, so I checked amazon. What I found, basically, is that they are 11.5 by 20.5". Just barely too small for a full PG sheet, but awesome for a lot of Inventables stuff and scraps.

Actual answer from Amazon:
Question: Inside drawer measurement?
Answer: Long: 1 Ft. 8 1/2 inch ,
Deep: (high) 3 1/2 inch (small drawer) 4 1/2 inch (Big drawer)
Width: 11 1/2 inch

4 Likes

Yup. my alex rolling drawer unit lives under the alex-based desktop, and there’s an inch or so to put the pieces that I don’t want to put in the drawers. And the narrow one holds offcuts and tools and everything else…

2 Likes

I went through a material hoarding phase, so I am actually out of drawers and have hardwoods all over the place. It’s fine, as they wouldn’t have fit anyway, they are 6" by 24" generally (green valley scores). but I have a paper/cork drawer, a proofgrade-everything drawer, a baltic drawer, a “weird stuff” drawer, which has like leather and rubber and whatnot, an acrylic/inventables drawer… and so on.

If I could have found a fullsize blueprint flat file I might have gone with that (usually rolls in at like 300 used, which is a lot, but they are ne plus ultra), but craigslist was coming up empty when I was looking, and I already had another ALEX for my Cricut, so I just went with it.

EDIT:

Of course, now there’s a unit on CL for $200.

(edit: this link has been dead for ages now)

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/fuo/d/architects-flat-files-chairs/6502198343.html

3 Likes

Hey there, are you still happy with this solution?

Does the Glowforge back and front hang off the tabletop some? I ask because I think the husky’s depth is 18" while the Glowforge is almost 21"…

If you have time to post a picture, I’d love to see it. Thanks!

Yep. Works like a champ. I have a Pro so the rolling, swiveling ability is really handy for the pass through use.

It does extend past the top edge of the cart vbut not like it’s hanging off it, more like it curves up and over the front. It’s not a noticeable overhang - in fact I keep my ruler under the GF and on the tabletop. So it’s not an issue that really impacts how the machine is used.

I’ll grab a photo tonight after I get home from class.

Perhaps there is a missing not?

No not missing anymore :slight_smile:

If I had a Basic I might switch to a Jekylled steel wire rack stand - the ones where you have the chrome (or black) metal posts with wire rack shelves. I’d buy two and throw away the posts for one of them so I had double the shelves. Then I’d use half the legs (or buy a 40" tall unit) so it’s only about 3 to 3 1/2 ft tall. The top shelf would get the GF (and the Filter when that arrives) and the shelves would all be installed about 4-6" of vertical space apart. That would provide flat open storage for sheet materials. Ultimately the same price range because you have to buy a whole unit just for the shelves so it’s not an economic thing. I do like being able to use a drawer (with a lasered BB box inside) as a desk though for my Surface - when I’m done if I want I can just close the laptop and close the drawer.

The tool cabinet I’m using is good for people who want drawers. I actually keep all non-flat stock in there - things like tile and embossing powders/gun, paint, etc. I keep my stock on shelves that are open so I can see what I have and what I’m running out of. Other people like it all hidden though and the shelving unit wouldn’t make the grade for them. I’d have to find a different solution for the laptop though so maybe it’s a good thing I bought a Pro and needed a wheeled cart :slight_smile:

Right on. Thanks in advance for the photo, that would be great to see. I just looked underneath the glowforge, and I see what you mean: the feet only require 13” of depth!

Here are three. The first is from the front. You can see that the front panel is flush to the front of the tool cabinet. The second shows the front corner so you can see how close the feet are to the edge (not :slightly_smiling_face:). The third picture is the rear corner. You can see how much the back hangs off (not too much) and how far inset the feet are on the wood top. There’s no shortage of support for the GF. I could center it but it works fine the way it is. My chest is about a foot and a half from the wall as I’ve got some shelves behind it and it needs room for the hose anyway (& it gives me some room out the slot without needing to roll or pivot the cabinet).

Thanks for taking those photos, that was really kind of you. I was especially interested in a photo of the Whole Enchilada. If it’s no trouble, I’d love to see just how it looks from a distance. I’m having a hard time imagining whether it feels like a huge device on a little table, or a little device on a huge table, or is visually balanced…

Huge device