Finally Finished - Advent Calendar Ferris Wheel

Well, after 2 months worth of work (designing and cutting), here is the final product. I know some of you were getting a little impatient…It’s me, I was “some of you.” :wink:

You go through days 1-12 then turn the whole thing around and go through 13-24. I have also made actual seats to replace the boxes if you just want a ferris wheel. I haven’t run those yet. I am out of Draft Board. LOL

It stands a little over 2 feet high and is about 21inches wide at the base. The entire piece is made of 1/8" PG draft board and there is no glue, everything is completely snap together. The present boxes are 2.5" w (square) by 2.5" high and the lid rests on the arms that hold the boxes on the wheels.

I was able to re-engineer some pieces so the total count of individual pieces came to 390. I used 21 boards to print this. This was created on a GF Plus so I couldn’t run the whole circle of the wheels at once. I decided to break them up in 6 pieces. Mostly for aesthetics but also cause I could get 3 on a sheet. :slight_smile:

As I began putting it together I realized some things I will change before I release the file for purchase. I will also be including a step-by-step pdf to help everyone get it together. It doesn’t take long, but the axel with the bearings is a PITA.

It definitely was a labor of love. This one is for a Christmas present. I doubt I will make another one. LOL

** Forgot to mention, this is designed entirely in Illustrator.

Here are more pictures and a video of how it spins.

Hope everyone likes it and I hope you have a great Thursday!!!

98 Likes

Amazing!! Great work. When you say you turn it around to go through days 13-24, does Santa need to refill the boxes at that point?

4 Likes

Thanks, Yes “santa does” Making a wheel that held 24 boxes would have been 3’ round. LOL

6 Likes

It’s gorgeous, Victor!!!

4 Likes

Absolutely wonderful! I love everything about this except the time it took!
(Not waiting for you to finish, but what I’d have to put in to make one :stuck_out_tongue: )

3 Likes

Thanks! Can’t believe its finally done! Thanks for the Draft Board!!!

1 Like

LOL. I think I am done with really big projects (he says as he opens the file for the Arts and Crafts bungalow dollhouse) :wink:

7 Likes

Totally worth the wait! This is an over-the-top accomplishment.

4 Likes

Thanks! Of course now I have to design something better. LOL

3 Likes

Simply incredible. So so cool. Thank you so much for sharing. This really expands what I think I might be able to create with my forge.

4 Likes

Thanks! Your imagination is your only enemy. You can great almost anything with the GF.

2 Likes

And all press-fit! A testament to your resolve… and patience :sunglasses:

7 Likes

LOL. I built so many things while woodworking that involved nails, screws and glue, that I like to challenge myself. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m glad you had enough to finish this incredible project!! (And thanks for the Baltic Birch in trade!!)

5 Likes

OMG! I can’t imagine the PDF you’re going to have to put together for that one! Totally stupendous! :smile:

6 Likes

HAHAHA…it’s not too bad. It’s mostly a lot of “do this, now do it 12 more times” :wink:

5 Likes

I am amazed at the things that you are building. What a great inspiration. Thank you for showing it. :grinning:

5 Likes

Thank you. You are welcome. I get inspiration from being on here daily. No better place to spend my time than reading of others’ success stories. My favorite is, “this is my first project!” You know immediately that it’s going to be the first of many great projects!

6 Likes

This is very high on the list for possibly the most beautifully designed and executed piece I’ve seen. It’s just wonderful!

8 Likes

WOW! Sofa. King. Wonderful.

Really a work of art.

5 Likes