Finally got my Pro! Trace feature suggestion

I went straight at it with the proof grade acrylic and the trace feature. The trace was positioned about 1” in from the bottom left and a square shape with rounded corners (for attachment to a 4” powered window vent.) The trace was accurate on the right, top, center (hole for tube) and bottom. But on the left it was shifted in over a 1/4”. It’s clear that the camera isn’t accurately detecting the cut lines for what is to the far left.

For other owners - I find the trace function is best for artistic captures placed in the center under the camera and not more than 6” wide. For precision tracing on large objects you really can’t rely on it currently. Also, if just cutting you will want to tell the app to “ignore” the drawing / engraving step and leave just the cut.

It took just 18 seconds to produce my crude / temporary window vent. It would have taken hours with my 3D printer.

The good news is that all is well with my new Glowforge Pro and excited to keep diving into it. I’m sure it will handle SVG files great. The trace issue appears to be software related and I’m sure will improve in time.

I will be posting on the fumes / venting as I work to perfect my set up (and wait on the air filter to come one day.)

Staff - will the air filter also have an output to go ahead and vent it ? I view the filter as more of an odor reduction than being safe to use indoors as the pro does leak fumes around the front when cutting - especially with wood.

As a developer, it seems GlowForge could make a calibration routine that used glowforge drawn squares, scan and then glowforge engraved over it and scans again. This is much like how inkjet alignment is done.

2 Likes

I should clarify that the preview was showing as though it would cut to match. The actual cut was more narrow by over 1/4” vs the preview.

Great! Happy laserin’ Joe! Yeah, I was really excited about the trace feature, and it has its uses, but I have learned there is no substitute for design software.

2 Likes

Yeah, and with my 3D printing experience, the software side is simple, so no real reason for me to lean on tracing much except for really quick things that don’t warrant the precision. I can see it’s benefits for more creative applications vs my mechanical engineering ones

1 Like

If I recall correctly, @dan has stated that the air filter is not designed to also vent externally. But I would be happy if I am recalling incorrectly.

2 Likes

I’ll second this - the ‘trace’ feature is awesome for quickly blowing some kids’ mind, particularly at a Maker Faire or school demo, because it lets anyone who can draw create a lasered design. But for anything serious, I get much better results taking a photo with a camera, or a scan on a flatbed scanner, and doing a trace in Illustrator. Not only are the results better, the tools let you tweak the design to really get what you want. More clicking, certainly, so less than ideal for a quick demo, but…

4 Likes

That is correct – as far as we’ve been told, the air filter is designed to exhaust to room air and will not include a 4" exhaust port. It will have a 4" inlet port connected to the GF by a U-shaped connector.

3 Likes

The filtered air exits on the right side through a rectangular-ish opening, as seen in this photo:

1 Like

Hmm, isn’t that just below the GF intake port and warm air rises …

4 Likes

My immediate thought, also.
John

3 Likes

I’m sure I will post a mod to allow venting out a window from this exhaust port once I get it. I raised it only because this is still in development. Some of us are more concerned with not upsetting people nearby with odors - but also want to be certain we aren’t poisoning ourselves. Filters are only as good as what they are designed to filter. Eg alumina vs carbon and so on. I have IQAir machines already with the ability to handle this with the existing unit and a 4” inlet, as well as outlet / vent to window. It is just pricey for most users

1 Like

Yeah, definitely. I would love to help Glowforge sort out a way to calibrate this logically. It doesn’t seem like it would be too involved. Also, when drawing the capture rectangle it seems the focus area and algorithm could adjust based on the camera issue on large or offset far left / far right (and I’m sure far too)

It also seems they should suggest the scan be placed in the center and width tolerances to avoid wasting material. I will be doing more testing but I bet it does much better if the trace is centered

I measured the temps, as I dont think I’ve seen anyone do it so far.

Room ambient temp: 72f.
Case interior ambient temp at idle: 73f.
Exhaust max temp, 3” from exhaust during full power cut: 75f.

I’d say it’s pretty neglible. The laser intake is pulling air from 360 degrees. Ambient air is being introduced/forced to the filter unit itself. Probably some other thermodynamic stuff that I don’t know about.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry we didn’t post here for so long. Thanks for all of the feedback and discussion.

The Air Filter does not include a hose connection for venting.

@joe4 You mentioned that your Pro leaks fumes. Even with proper filtration, small amounts of smoke and fumes can enter the air around your Glowforge, producing a detectable odor. You may also smell an odor when you open the Glowforge lid, even long after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created an troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/print#excessive-smoke-or-fumes-during-print

If you’re still seeing or smelling excessive smoke or fumes when using Proofgrade materials, we’re here for you. Please post a new thread and include:

• The name of the material you’re using
  • A description of where the smoke/fumes are coming from: the door, lid, or hose
  • When you smell the fumes: during the print or after it has completed
  • Photos of your Glowforge and your exhaust system