Finally! How to cut cardstock without smoke stains and without engraving

I spent hours this afternoon trying to cut white cardstock without soot stains.

I went through multiple posts and came up with these settings for cutting Micheal’s 65lb cardstock.

You are going to want to have a sticky board that you can put your paper on. Having the paper blowing(even a little) will prevent it from working as well.

I then used these settings

Power-8
Speed-300
Passes-3

I found that having very low power and using multiple passes stopped all of the smoke issues I was having.

There is still a little bit of a brown edge but I think it looks cool. I just really hate the soot on the paper.

22 Likes

Or…

Or…

7 Likes

Thanks for this. I am going to move this to Beyond the Manual as that is the only place we can discuss settings for non Proofgrade materials.

I think many people will save lots of time if they read this post. Thanks for sharing your experience. The result looks great!

5 Likes

Nice work coming up with good settings. Because they’re non-PG settings I moved your post to Beyond the Manual :slight_smile:

I’m sure lots of folks will find this helpful!

I totally thought of the vacuum tray while reading this :smiley:

2 Likes

Another good tip is having your sticky board be made out of acrylic! I found that when I cut on wood I got a lot more smoke deposits than with acrylic. I’ll have to try your settings to avoid the edge soot.

5 Likes

THIS is gonna be perfect for my next project!

THANKS!!!

Jonathan

1 Like

Thanks for the settings. It almost looks as if there are NO soot marks on the back but i can see the brown line on the front. Perhaps cutting inversely would take away the ‘soot’ look entirely. Thanks again!!

2 Likes

Bookmarking these settings for future use. Thank you for sharing.

“Next”? Seeing how you take to things like the guitars, I think you mean your next 23!

Actually, if you read some of my other posts, I picked up 100 paper dies, a a estate sale with a ***ton of ‘scrap booking paper’ – so I am using my glowforge as a cricket with a lightsaber. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jumpin’ Jiminy!

As if crickets didn’t have enough firepower on their own.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.