Finally, My Scroll Bowl is Finished! Or, A Labor of Love

Some of you may recall my original, laughable attempt, and the follow up…

Well, folks, I finally completed it. Here is the final version (well, still gluing a few layers, but this is it assembled, anyway):

8th Wedding Anniversary gift, so I made it in an octagon shape, 8 inches wide, and with 8 layers. And painted in Bronze highlights, since that is the traditional 8th Anniversary gift. I wanted to inlay real bronze, but that was just waaaaay too much work, lol. And it uses the tree’s Heartwood…awwww…

Hope she likes it…

Now, you might be wondering why I entitled this “Or, A Labor of Love”…

Well, here are the details behind the build…

I didn’t want to use just any wood, so I chose a plank from a local tree that had been knocked down in a storm, where I had salvaged the wood myself with a chainsaw, hauled it home, and sliced into planks.

From pieces like this, I chose a plank…probably a diff one than this, but you get the idea…

Was all too wet when I had re-sawed it, so they all had warped…onto the planer it went!

:

After one side:

After the second side, nice and flat:

Smooooth as glass…

Resawing into thinner planks;

Uugggh, wish I had known how hard heartwood is to cut through! Had to plane them even thinner later…and then glue two layers together.

Btw, this is what a cross section side view of score marks looks like:

Ha, Bronze!!! DON’T YOU BELIEVE IT!!! The most silver bronze paint I’ve ever seen!! Had to repaint all with a different can later…

Switched paints; this is much better!

Reverse imaged the engraving onto acrylic…ready to paint. Btw, I had messed up the first time, and transposed 8th & Anniversary! Lol, not the first one to do it, and won’t be the last, either…

Finally ready to glue: Have to tightly and perfectly clamp each set; thin wood warps! And the glue is very slippery

Final Product:

Btw, I could have made it in this style, but I like the one I chose better; how about you guys?

60 Likes

The one that makes both you and her happy is the best one. Happy 8th Anniversary.

(and I think you choose wisely, it looks great)

6 Likes

Reminder…link to highlights.

(Awesome story too…just had time to get back and read it.)

5 Likes

Awesome job. Loving the octagons.

Someone else on the forums was telling me about dense wood and lasers take more work the other day. Makes me happy for a pro

5 Likes

Definitely a labor of love!!! Beautiful!
Both are absolutely wonderful!

5 Likes

Ooooo, a lot of symbolism there. It’s wonderful, and I’m sure she will appreciate your thoughtfulness!

7 Likes

Glueing tip:
Keep a salt cellar nearby to sprinkle lightly onto the glue before clamping the two pieces together. The salt crystals stop the pieces slipping around. I do this on all my wood projects. Works a treat.

15 Likes

Glad I read the comments before posting, I was going to share the same tip. REALLY helps with preventing the pieces from sliding around when glueing.

9 Likes

Oh wow, thanks!!

3 Likes

Great post…
Very cool project man, happy anniversary! I agree with your style choice.
Nicely equipped shop too!

3 Likes

Looks great, nice job! Also, nice shop equipment!
Happy Anniversary!

2 Likes