Finally: Veneer Laptop Cover

Since BF (before 'forge), I have wanted to make a case from veneer, and I’ve finally done it. Right before getting hooked on the original GF ad, I met the guys behind toastmade.com and they hooked me up with some cool veneer cases for my phone. Then when I saw what a laser could do, and pre-ordered my own, I patiently waited until I it arrived…and waited…and waited…I didn’t have the same motivation for veneer projects once it did arrive, so it sat on the back burner. I did a few things with veneer here and there, and my most popular was my wrap for my water bottle, but I think this will trump that.

I got to work on measuring my laptop, and let me tell you, the engineers behind the design were not as OCD as I imagine, because the measurements for this thing are wonky. The horizontal measurement is exact, but the vertical is strange. Anyway, this was the first time I’ve had to measure things to such a degree, so my calipers earned their keep for the third or fourth time. My design process began simple, then I designed a stripe through it. I wanted to add some graphic to it, but I didn’t know what would work, until right before I fell asleep mocking up designs I thought about palm trees. Woke up today, opened my laptop and created a new tab in my browser, only to be met by a palm tree grove. Then my wife said she was also thinking about palm trees when I brought it up, so the graphic was chosen.

I had a nice picture from below a couple of palm trees, so I chopped it up, edited it, and made my final designs. If there’s one piece of advice, or reminder for veneer, it’s to remove the masking. I lost a decent amount of detail, even with two passes, but as they say, c’est la vie.

41 Likes

PS

If you haven’t seen it, I posted the outline for anyone to use in the free files section:

It doesn’t come with the stripe or my design, but once you’ve downloaded the file, feel free to do with it as you please :+1:t4:

5 Likes

Just lovely!
I have the Toastmade skin on mine, everyone thinks it’s a cutting board.

4 Likes

Haha I would have had them do one for me, but besides it being cheaper for me to do it, I just had to make it myself to finally check it off of my list :heavy_check_mark:

3 Likes

That turned out really nice. Thanks for doing all the hard work of measuring and producing the outline so some of us that may be a little less OCD can have a good result as well.

2 Likes

Beautiful! :grinning:

2 Likes

Must be so satisfying when it finally comes into reality! great looking laptop!

3 Likes

Very topical for the tropical :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

This is probably going to be the most witty comment of my day today haha

With as much as I’ve learned from this community, it’s the least I can do to give away my work here and there :grin:

2 Likes

Gorgeous!!!

You know that book titled “Steal This Book” written by Abbie Hoffman and published decades ago?

Well your computer sends that message without using any text! :slight_smile:

Can you tell me where you got the ‘round to rectangular’ vent fixture shown in the background of one of your photos?

4 Likes

I haven’t heard of that book, but I have now!

That’s to our portable AC that sits just below the intake fan. It gets in the 90’s in the GF room in the second half of the day, so it’s a necessity :hot_face:

2 Likes

Lol, I thought that was the vent hose for your GlowForge!!! I was hoping to get something similar shaped so I wouldn’t have to open my window as wide!

Thanks!!!

4 Likes

It’s so beautiful! I’d just want to sit and look at it.

5 Likes

You aren’t wrong! I’ve found myself stopping what I’m doing to turn it around just to look at it. Also, since I’m a small bit fidgety, I also just rub my fingers against it while I’m reading haha

3 Likes