"Fire in the hole!" diorama scene

Hi Everyone! This was another fun one that evolved on its own. I enjoyed making the shield in The Dungeon Master’s Hoard and wanted to make another one. But when I got the base slates done, I thought I’d make it in to a lid for either a barrel or a well cover or something. Then settled on making a barrel. Thought about what I could put in the barrel, settled on gun powder (hot glue and a toothpick to stab it a million times worked great and would look good unpainted as salt, but I painted this black with a thin layer of silver and a thin coat of varnish to give it the sheen). Sticks of dynamite seemed the next logical pairing. Then I needed a setting for all this big pile of boom (for a minute I thought about doing a mini Guy Faux mask and making it a historical piece about November 5th, but decided instead on a hastily evacuated mine shaft over some spilled nitro. Always have to get a little bit of piece of action, they’re boring if they just sit there.

Used the GF to score/cut the timber frames for the walls on medium drafboard (they also have little holes cut in them so putting the toothpick nails in was easier then just trying to glue it flat on to the timber), the rest is all chipboard, cardstock, toothpicks, hot glue, paint, distressing ink, some black wire. I get these multi-packs of small glass bottles from Hobby Lobby/Michael’s and haven’t found many uses for the amber ones, but it seemed more fitting than a clear one for this one, I just wish the hot glue would have dried more clear than it does. Resin probably would have been better, but I don’t have any and I’ve never even done resin before. And of course, why use real pebbles (which I do have and could have used) when I could do it the hard way and make hot glue blobs painted to look like rocks? Gave me lots of ideas of little rock walls and burial mounds and stuff though. Who knows what’s next, because I surely don’t…

Thanks for stopping and taking a look, and until next creation, Happy Forging!

52 Likes

Wow, just so creative. I love all your miniature scenes!!

9 Likes

All your miniatures are little works of art!
Thanks for sharing them!

8 Likes

Now for a few free standing shelf additions so the diorama’s can stack.
It will extend the need for a new house to store them all in.
Just joking (maybe). Another great tiny

Rough and dirty but the concept shown below should work.

15 Likes

I like to imagine the whole house is just piled Scrooge McDuck style in tiny scenes. Endless treasure :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah, yeah it’s almost starting to look that way :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Gosh, this is Mythbuster worthy!

3 Likes

Another masterpiece!

5 Likes

I get the feeling they’d use more dynamite…

5 Likes

I’m sure you are right!

2 Likes

Shamazing.

4 Likes

Sensational! I love your hot glue gunpowder trick.

As far as where to go from here, how about a Pirates of the Caribbean theme? Or maybe the smuggler’s bar scene from the first Star Wars movie?

8 Likes

So interesting to read how your mind creates the scene! Another great one. : )

4 Likes

I get giddy every time I see one of these that you’ve done!

3 Likes

I love the timber pieces to carry off the whole theme.

Exactly what I was thinking @brokendrum !

6 Likes