Fire!

I had previously cut a “Our Father” cross in wood on the Glowforge and wanted to try it in proofgrade acrylic. Apparently the cuts were too close together and resulted in the acrylic catching fire. The tray melting on the side, but is still usable; the real problem is that the belt for the laser head melted. I don’t see a replacement one available in the store, any way to get one? I had to reset it once before, it was tough but it worked.
Thank you

1 Like

You will probably want to send some pictures of the damage to Glowforge so they can assess the damage. (Tray might not be good anymore if it got out of level for instance.) They will be able to work something out with you directly.

Yeah, I’m worried about the fan now also

1 Like

Yeah, they might want to see some more pics - like of the lenses and the carriage plate too, but they’ll tell you if they need it.

That one definitely got away from you, but you got it stopped before it completely caught, so good job. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yikes! A reminder for us all to stay attentive.

3 Likes

That sucks. Hey, have you checked your file for double cut strokes? That could cause something like that to happen.

5 Likes

I cut / engraved some proofgrade acrylic this weekend for a fish tank top I built for my step-daughter. I watched that puppy the whole time it was doing it’s thing as there have been several fires relayed on the forums when cutting / engraving acrylic. Hopefully the damage isn’t too bad!

3 Likes

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.