First 3D Engrave. First box test

I got my forge on Nov. 1st. Had no clue it was even on its way! I played around with a few things before going all in. Go big or go home, right? I started with this 3D engrave. One shot, one kill.

Depth maps are amazing! They give you the ability to create some seriously amazing visuals!

I then used a cool tabbed box generator in inkscape to create the box and added a couple of standard engraves to the sides.

Once that was done, I snapped it together and stained it with American Walnut stain & poly. I noticed that the lid was warping a bit and realized the wood was inhaling the stain and the warp was like a chest expanding out with a deep breath.

By the next morning, the wood had relaxed and flattened itself back into shape, ready to be crowned. I added the feet last, letting this box stand proud.

It was quite the learning process for me throughout the project. The stain is uneven. Glue ran down on one side, making an ugly scar in the stain. The engraves on the sides of the box are a lot deeper than the front. And the wood I used was barely wide enough for the size of box I designed. Some of the tabs along the bottom of the back side and the base are too short. The next time I print this design, I will use better hardwood, and I will plan it out better. All in all, I am happy with how it turned out! It already has a new home and everything. I love this new toy!

Scott Daniel

72 Likes

Lovely! You are off to a fantastic start!

Welcome!

4 Likes

Thanks! I am having a blast!

3 Likes

Wow, way to jump into it! That’s a beautiful result. :grinning:

4 Likes

Thank ya kindly! I hope to post a few more things soon!

1 Like

I’m glad to see the warp relaxed out too. I’m doing a 3D notebook cover, and it’s currently being squished. Hadn’t thought to experiment with stain, but I really like the look of that walnut.

3 Likes

It is pretty thick, and I should have used a q-tip to get the stain down into the carving on the lid. This thing is sloppy! lol I am a bit of a perfectionist.

2 Likes

Well now I’m convinced that I need to go out and buy some stain. Did you lacquer it as well? It has a nice sheen!

As far as first projects go, this is definitely among the best, great work!

4 Likes

Thank you! I actually used a stain with polyurethane sealant in it.

1 Like

Wow that is a terrific job! how big is it?

3 Likes

Wow, amazing! I’ve been Glowforging for a year and a half and haven’t made anything this beautiful. Better get to work, self!

4 Likes

I… am… in… awe.
This thing is gorgeous!
Seriously I’m just sitting here staring at it while I type this and I’m just blown away!

I’ve had my 'forge for… gosh… a year and a half now(?!). And I have yet to attempt to tackle a box. I really need to just do it and learn from whatever mistakes I make. Your work is truly inspiring.

6 Likes

10x8x4 inches.

1 Like

Thank you! It certainly is photogenic. Lol. Get it in the right light, however, and its flaws are glaring. The next one will be much better. I think I might use some twine…

You are too kind. Now get to makin! Lol. Just jump in, my friend. Tons of cool tutorials out there. If I can do this, anybody can.

1 Like

Where did you find the neat foot hardware?

5 Likes

What a beautiful box! Welcome to the forum. Can’t wait to see your next project!

2 Likes

Wow.
Why crawl when you can run? Amazing for not planning it out…
(I’m just butt scooting still a year on…).

And where did you get those feet?

3 Likes

That is amazing work, sir. You have skills, masterful skills!

2 Likes

Absolutely beautiful. I love the effect of the stain.

2 Likes