First Big Project after 1 month of owning basic - 2 Layer World Map wall art

Total measurements are 6’ wide and 4 1/2’ high.
Also made some cardboard cutouts to assist installing in on a bare wall.

67 Likes

Nice job!

2 Likes

Great Project, nice detail. Congratulations @armyclark !

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Congrats, especially after 1 month!

2 Likes

Ooooh, so cool! Great Wall art project. Love it!

5 Likes

The cardboard position holders are a great idea, do you have one for iceland to UK as well or where they free hand?

Also, is there logic to which bits are layered or is it artistic?

Finally, how do you fix it to the wall? Is it glued or are there hidden fixings?

3 Likes

Very cool project! That has to take some patience to put together.

2 Likes

Wow, really nice job.

2 Likes

Looks awesome! I love maps!

2 Likes

A terrific mega puzzle! There are some interesting choices. I always have trouble as world maps are like a clock, every time I look it is different. I wonder if blue acrylic for ocean would help and even have all those Islands have at least an engraved spot and the diverse areas of China or perhaps India have a score for their locations. :upside_down_face:

But a very intimidating piece of wall art, Perhaps laid out lightly together so you can make new pieces every time it changes. :grin:

I don’t have a large file for just Iceland to the UK but could certainly adjust the file I have. How big were you thinking? To create these I had taken the best world map I could find on google, then expanded it with Illustrator. I found other maps of the Canada, USA, Australia and Russia to divide by provinces, states, etc (those were all sort of traced/free hand drawn in).

As to the layering…I had cut out every country twice. Once as a background in larger grouping with surrounding countries, then I cut every country individually. This way I could mix and match to create something that I was happy with. Purely artistic.

As to sticking it to the wall. I’ve had ideas of sticking it to a nicely finished sheet of maple or oak that’s painted blue, framing it with a sort of soft looking frame (don’t want to take away from the map), then attaching the map to that.

What I had intended was to stick it directly to the wall as is. There is some good 3M clear double sided tape that is super strong and would definitely do the trick.

8 Likes

I’ve made the background into larger pieces so the actual installation wouldn’t be that bad. (All of South America is 1 piece, USA is 1, Canada is 1, Africa is 2. I kept some of the countries individual near Turkey for ease of installation, but it’s super fun to install.

1 Like

Brilliant work with the cardboard too. Going to look amazing on the wall.

2 Likes

That is great!!!

2 Likes

Really neat looking maps. Bet you will have to use a whole 4x8 ft sheet of plywood to display it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

An ambitious and very successful first big project. Can’t wait to see it on the wall.

3 Likes

You might want to try this stuff as it is strong but you can remove it without messing up the wall, and even wash it and reuse it as strong as ever…
https://www.amazon.com/Removable-Adhesive-Nano-Gel-Tape/dp/B07ZCS1LTP/ref=asc_df_B07ZCS1LTP/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385766269178&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5512521837393876388&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012119&hvtargid=pla-836897230040&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=76841378097&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385766269178&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5512521837393876388&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012119&hvtargid=pla-836897230040

2 Likes

My plan is not to have it on any plywood, but installed directly on the wall with double sided tape.

I’ve added an accessory pack for the World Map and have uploaded in on my Etsy store.
I thought it would be fund to add some extra items surrounding the continents.

5 oceans, 2 sharks, 1 whale tail, 1 whale, 2 mermaids, 4 planes, 2 boats (cut or scored) and 2 nautical compasses (different cuts).

11 Likes

That sure is a big project to take on. I did just the united states and it took forever

3 Likes