First cut problem need advice please

while cutting my free gift my computer screen went into sleep mode 30 sec before it was finished and it didnt cut all the way through. i tried it again kept screen awake and it cut through. i did change my computer to never sleep just wondering if there a setting in glowforge i need to change.

2 Likes

It does not matter that your computer went to sleep. Once the Glowforge loads your file and tells you to hit the button, you can use the computer for other things or let it go to sleep. For the not cutting through problem, make sure the material is absolutely flat against the honeycomb tray, double check the thickness of the material with calipers and/or use the set focus tool right where you expect the cut. Also, did the cut almost go through?

4 Likes

yup it cut almost went through. i just tried it again put the screen in sleep mode it completed the cut. its odd that the first try the last cut started but did not go all the way through.

2 Likes

The automatic settings are supposed to just go through so it is often that they almost just go through as the slightest issue will only cut less

I make these for each material I have to judge what manual settings are good.

wow thank you this is great! it actually made a deep engeaving not even almost through all the other holes and the keychain itself cut no problem. i did a few other cuts after with no problem. thanks for the info

2 Likes

Don’t know how warm and humid it is where you are, but I’ve noticed the last few days (it has been hot and humid finally) the proofgrade materials are slightly more swollen than usual and sometimes the masking on the backside doesn’t get cut all the way through and you just have to push it out. I have to remember to use the Set Focus tool and that should help at times like this.

3 Likes

That would be an interesting test to do, check humidity of materials and test them.

2 Likes

My calipers are the cheap kind so hesitate to do the research myself. Would also need some tool to check the humidity - other than my forehead. :grin:

Thank you, everyone, for the great advice! If you’re still having trouble with cutting through, here are a few things to remember. First, make sure your material is flat, you can check out our troubleshooter on warped material for ideas on how to take care of your materials. Then you want to make sure your crumb tray is correctly in place. If your material or crumb tray is not flat, this can result in some unwanted results. Second, all your lenses and optics should be clean and have no obstructions blocking the path of your laser. Third, your design must be set up properly - for example, with lines that are fully on the material and that are set to cut. It’s hard to know which issue might be affecting your print, so please thoroughly inspect your unit and design before you create magic. If you have any questions at all, let us know. We are always here to help!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.