First day making: Honeycomb earrings, plant labels, tiny chair, and more!

Unpackaged her this week, and today finally got to start making! I have some past experience with an Epilog at a maker space, but it’s been quite a while, and so had to get through the first chunk of my learning curve today re: file set up, starting to play with different materials, etc.

Had fun making plant labels-- I’ve done them before out of wood (using bulk box of untreated whitewood labels from greenhouse supply company), but thought I’d see what I could do with what I had around. They really don’t need to be permanent, and I find it quite helpful to have some up to date info on them, because I inevitably lose my sheet of paper of what was planted when, et al. I love mat board as a pretty sturdy and readily-available free/used/cheap medium. It was sunny in Michigan and 40, so much warmer and a great day to do a first planting of cool weather crops in my little hoophouse. I experimented with both mat board and cardboard (tried two different settings). No masking, as I’m fine with some burn marks-- they’re going to get dirty anyway. The mat board did better of course, but cardboard wasn’t half bad-- this was thicker corrugated so it flops a bit when you try to stick it into the ground-- might be better to put it on a skewer-- then the skewer is what sticks into the ground.

Also, designed some honeycomb earrings that I printed on the Proofgrade maple hardwood, as well as a undefined-use honey-comb shaped thing as an experiment.

![IMG_0055|500x500(upload://ae0AL2gHUPUY0XEO0uOOCBvk15P.JPG)

Downloaded, printed, and assembled an OpenDesk chair that I scaled down from CNC and human size, and now making adjustments on the design that I think will improve it and taking away elements like the drill holes. Rubber-bands were being temporarily used as clamps. Fun to see the great furniture we can adapt to laser scale.

42 Likes

Cool projects! (Like all the info on the plant labels…that’s a great idea!) :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks! I love having Latin/scientific names in particular-- I know most of them now but it’s a good reminder. But, I often have really old seed that I try to germinate, and so to keep track of what year the seed is from is helpful. After a while if it doesn’t germinate, time to plant something else in that spot. I think it’ll be fun to compare the anticipated harvest date with actual, and to manually mark down the date first seedlings emerge. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Grab some yellow acrylic from inventables.

or

https://shop.glowforge.com/products/medium-yellow-acrylic-cast-opaque-glossy

And make an awesome honey dipper!

7 Likes

Great idea!! I had been thinking honey-dipper, and acrylic would be perfect.

2 Likes

What a great idea to make the plant stakes out of biodegradable material. Nice chair (needs a banana) and honey dipper too!

5 Likes

Oh those plant labels are getting nicked! :smiley: great job.

I’m loving the earrings too.

2 Likes

What fun projects! Not sure which I love the most … maybe the plant markers.

1 Like

Looks like you’re harvesting before we plant :grinning:

not sure what growing zone you’re in, but with very simple and cheap season extension even in northern climes (michigan) we can grow much of the year-- contrary to popular belief. :slight_smile:

Love the plant labels! We grow pretty much 24/7 but I still forget what those seedings are. Great!

Zone 6 but we get some wicked cold - spent weeks never getting out of the single digits (F) this winter. No sun so expensive to supplementally heat a small greenhouse. (And as the non-vegetarian in the house, hard to get motivated without the chance of prime beef growing in there…the wife on the other hand :slightly_smiling_face:)

That would make a wonderful honey dipper or bubble wand. Some really clean work there.

1 Like

You’re off to a great start! Can’t wait to see what else you create.

I thought the one was a honey dipper :slightly_smiling_face:

that was the original intent as i was designing, and then i got a little carried away-- a bit too big to fit into the honey jar… :slight_smile:

That doesn’t sound fun!

:slight_smile:

Another nor’easter coming tomorrow. :unamused:

It’s seriously getting old.

(8-12" is the current estimate :worried:)

3 Likes