First original project - Elephant card/tag

Hi all, this is my first post, but I’ve been lurking in these forums for… well, years. I watched the GF from the kickstarter phase, but for various reasons I couldn’t commit to getting one. This year for Father’s Day, my wife and son knocked it out of the park and surprised me with a Pro!

I’ve done the basic test projects, and have now started designing a few projects from scratch. I have experience with other cutting machines (i.e. Cricut), so the learning curve hasn’t been too steep.

The first project I put together is a card/tag for a baby shower gift. Our friends are expecting, but they are also leaving for another dirty station, so this ended up being a baby/ going away present.

I wanted a circle of wood ( maple hardwood, in this case) with a design on one side and a message on the other. I liked the medallion idea, and expanded on that to have the ribbons hold the card in place on the front of the gift box.

The elephant is 3D engraved, and if I made this again I’d increase the power range just a smidge. The borders are scored, and the signatures are scanned from sharpie images placed on the bed. All in all, I think it turned out fantastic for a first project, but I’m interested to hear any tips or suggestions.

43 Likes

I like it a lot :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The medallion is adorable, and

made me giggle :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

2 Likes

Well babies can do that…:wink:

2 Likes

Aw, I thought I fixed all the autocorrects… guess I missed one. Oh well, I’ve committed; not changing it now. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Looks great! Awesome job!

that looks great. it has a very winnie the pooh feel to it.

Hi, @Koibito! Great post. So glad you got the Glowforge. I don’t recall your previous alias on the forum, but there was a time when I didn’t keep up too well.:wink:

Nice ribbon buckle.

1 Like

Oops, found another autocorrect… changed to “lurking in these forums”.

Good catch! I’m not making a very good first impression, am I? Attention to detail…

1 Like

Very Nice.

I think your first project is terrific. Keep designing. Keep experimenting. Keep forging. Keep posting.

In the infamous words of Cousin Eddie: “That’s the gift that keeps on giving the whole year!” Nice Father’s Day gift indeed, and great first project!

Perfect for the gift too, with the little ark theme! :grinning:

1 Like

Wow, I’d say your wife and son are keepers! Have fun with your machine, you’re off to a great start.

2 Likes

Love it! I have a one year old Granddaughter and something like this would be perfect!

1 Like

It’s beautiful. What a great first project.

1 Like

That elephant is adorable and the personal signatures are a nice touch.

I don’t think anything needs to change, but if you were looking to jazz it up next time, you could add some pops of color with colored pencils or the like. Lots of examples around the forum. I think the pastel effect of the colored pencils would go well with the image. But, honestly, I think the simple wood looks lovely the way you’ve used it.

2 Likes

Adorable tag … and love that you engraved the signatures.

1 Like

Very cute and thoughtful. Love the message on the back. Also looks so classy with the ribbon coming through it.