First paid Glowforge gig

Made with cheap craft 1/8" maple plywood. They needed 80 of these in less than 72 hours, so I didn’t have enough proofgrade on hand. But after they saw the scorch marks, they HAD to have it. I burned it upside down so that the scorch marks go “up”. I then had to monkey around with the settings to make the rest of it look correct.
My thumb is covering the company logo.

!

65 Likes

Looks lovely! (But wow, who could eat all that!) :smile:

3 Likes

haha, dude I know. I’m a non-drinking vegetarian.

7 Likes

Cool. Grab a 12"x100-yard roll of medium tack application tape (normal stocking item for vinyl cutters) to save you from the smoke stain when PG isn’t at hand.

4 Likes

That’s what I do, but in this case, the smoke ended up being a great part of the design!

5 Likes

Thanks! Good to know!

Looks fantastic! I’m curious…did they say why they liked the charred look so much?

No, but there’s someone between me and them. I think it just went well with the design and for some reason, goes with pork and whisky lol.

1 Like

Understandable. I don’t hate the char, but you know so many people go to such great lengths to keep char off, it was just surprising to hear that someone actually wanted it.

2 Likes

I found an Etsy store where they make an attribute out of the “rustic” char.

Char

3 Likes

I had a friend for whom I made a keychain thingee out of leather. Her question was, you know that stuff you put on it to keep off the smoke? Me: Yes. Her: Do you have to use it?

She preferred the smoked stain look on natural veg tan. So I cut her another one.

7 Likes

Good point.

Those can’t be more than 4" x 8" of wood but, you’ve got a point. 72 of those panels would be a lot to chew. Maybe a ravenous pack of beavers?

3 Likes

Interesting…I’ll have to keep that in mind when I get my Glowforge.

That’s so cool! Yes, the smoke’s a design decision - I can see it going over well for a whiskey dinner. :slight_smile: Note too that much of the smell comes from the char, so for better or for worse, it’s going to smell very smoky without masking. Again, a big potential plus for a whiskey dinner!

7 Likes

What about masking tape? Will that work too? Just wondering!!

I think when you put pork, whiskey and smoke together you have heaven.

3 Likes

I’m curious as to how long that took for 80 of them… and what you charged… If you don’t mind saying.

1 Like

Flashover char IS a design decision, for some reason.
I ran into the same thing, the people wanted the char, and here I was going to extremes to prevent it, heh heh…
I had made a sample on an un-masked chunk. When they saw that, they asked if theirs was also going to be burnt. I replied, 'of course not, I will avoid it on the final ones."
And got the same response as you, 'Do you have to?"

A is for Adventure…

4 Likes

“Yeah, that is an option, cheap too! Which way do you want the char to sweep? Only $5.00 more.”

5 Likes