First Post: Acrylic Lantern Ornaments

Hi Folks. :wave:

I’ve had my GF for a few months now, and have been mostly messing around, creating plywood kindling. I recently, finally, actually completed a project! These little ornaments are cut and etched in 1/4 clear acrylic, and glued together with super glue (not quite at the point of snap fitting stuff yet, and these would have been a real bear to put together without the aid of a fixative). Anyway, these are just some cell phone pics, but check ‘em out, below.

44 Likes

Those are really lovely! I like the ‘lacy’ engraving on them. They look like a string of garden lights. Keep posting your projects.

7 Likes

These are really great! I love the shape of them and how the top where the pieces come together have an extra sparkle to them. Are those real candles or the flameless ones? (And there’s no shame in using glue. Press-fit is cool and all, but I think trying to go without glue is a bit overrated.)

8 Likes

What a beautiful design, and a unique way to incorporate a light! I suspect the “plywood kindling” pile has some good stuff in it too.

8 Likes

Seconded. Acrylic burns very hot, it’d be unsafe to use real candles on this.

5 Likes

They look lovely!

5 Likes

Very nice design- I especially like the delicate engravings.

5 Likes

It’s a very beautiful and well thought out design. Looks great.

6 Likes

How unusual and pretty! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I really like the design on your acrylic. Nice . :grinning:

5 Likes

Hi Kittski.

Those are some little LED candles I got off Amazon. They’re a little cheesy looking, but the “flame” flicker is pretty realistic.

6 Likes

It’s full of good but not yet successful ideas! It’s a pile of the learning process.

4 Likes

I make a lot of kindling myself – packing to move has brought that realization to the fore, lately. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

These are really beautiful. I’m especially impressed that you’re able to get superglue anywhere near acrylic! The times I’ve tried it, the electrostatic charge on the acrylic has pulled big loops of glue over onto all of the places where I didn’t want glue! It’s kind of magical to watch, but the end effect is not so appealing!

3 Likes

One of many funerals pyres folks have posted.

5 Likes

Gorgeous!! :clap::clap:

FYI, super glue, or cyanoacrylate (CA) can cause blush/cracking/crazing in acylic (though think more common when it’s been mechanically cut, e.g. band saw vs. laser). There is a product that “welds” acrylic together, and #3 is thicker, or #4, which is super thin (flows faster than water). So if you get into doing a lot of acrylic work, these may be better…

5 Likes

Love it!

2 Likes

I tried some epoxy first, but these pieces are too fiddly (and my hands too shaky) to be held in place for long. My first ornament definitely had some superglue haziness, but I used very little of it on the following pieces—just a couple little dots here and there. So far, so good. I guess we’ll see how they hold up by the end of the holiday season. 💁🏻
I just need something that will work fast for these, because they have to be handheld to glue, and my manual dexterity/strength is challenged.
What is the acrylic weld product called, and how fast does it dry?

2 Likes

Hi,

Here’s a link to it via Amazon, but some hardware stores may stock it, too:
weld-on 4

But applying this really thin stuff is tricky, so the thicker #3 may be easier to work with.

Pending the size of the joint, it only takes moments to set–nearly instantaneous is some types of joints/acrylic. (Clear is fastest, and it can very by color/opaqueness). Though fully cure is 24 hours, but I’ve moved small items within moments and didn’t have any joint failure.

4 Likes

That gave me a good laugh!

I’ve got drawers full of it. It comes in handy when you want to test on the actual material you’re going to build with.
Thanks for sharing those with us, and enjoy the adventure! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Fairy lights!

2 Likes