First Post: Acrylic Lantern Ornaments

Beautiful ! Well done!

2 Likes

Wonderful designs!:heart_eyes: Something to think about with that general look is that if you design in three rings to hold vertical pieces with small matching notches that the bottom is outside the middle is inside and the top is outside, then with any deep considering even if the notches are loose will still hold itself together.

Alternatively particularly if you are making a bunch of them a rack that will just hold things together while the glue dries could work better than trying to make the rack be yourself

2 Likes

Terrific! Thank you so much! This is a whole new world of materials for me. I have never worked with acrylic (other than acrylic paint and resin) before now. So much to learn.

" if you design in three rings to hold vertical pieces with small matching notches that the bottom is outside the middle is inside and the top is outside, then with any deep considering even if the notches are loose will still hold itself together."

If I understand your meaning, this is what I did (the third ring is sort of hidden by the “heads” of the ornament), but still, getting everything together is a bit of a dexterity challenge, especially with the smoothness of the acrylic. I have some wood prototypes that hold together happily without glue, but the acrylic doesn’t have enough friction. I gave the bottom ring a light sanding, but it was still a bit tricky. Maybe I need to rough up the notches themselves a bit more…

1 Like

I washed all of the pieces in water and white vinegar before assembling them. I wonder if that cut down on any static that might have otherwise caused issues.

Maybe!

Agree! I just started experimenting/dipping my toe into the water of this whole new pond just over a month ago!

1 Like

This is the thing I was thinking about…

Oh! Interesting!

1 Like

Congratulations on completing your project! So much fun. They turned out lovely!

2 Likes

Yeah, what they said - those are adorable!

Not so much for acrylic, but you may find these serrated tabs helpful if you’re working in wood!

2 Likes