First Post: Acrylic Lantern Ornaments

It’s full of good but not yet successful ideas! It’s a pile of the learning process.

4 Likes

I make a lot of kindling myself – packing to move has brought that realization to the fore, lately. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

These are really beautiful. I’m especially impressed that you’re able to get superglue anywhere near acrylic! The times I’ve tried it, the electrostatic charge on the acrylic has pulled big loops of glue over onto all of the places where I didn’t want glue! It’s kind of magical to watch, but the end effect is not so appealing!

3 Likes

One of many funerals pyres folks have posted.

5 Likes

Gorgeous!! :clap::clap:

FYI, super glue, or cyanoacrylate (CA) can cause blush/cracking/crazing in acylic (though think more common when it’s been mechanically cut, e.g. band saw vs. laser). There is a product that “welds” acrylic together, and #3 is thicker, or #4, which is super thin (flows faster than water). So if you get into doing a lot of acrylic work, these may be better…

5 Likes

Love it!

2 Likes

I tried some epoxy first, but these pieces are too fiddly (and my hands too shaky) to be held in place for long. My first ornament definitely had some superglue haziness, but I used very little of it on the following pieces—just a couple little dots here and there. So far, so good. I guess we’ll see how they hold up by the end of the holiday season. 💁🏻
I just need something that will work fast for these, because they have to be handheld to glue, and my manual dexterity/strength is challenged.
What is the acrylic weld product called, and how fast does it dry?

2 Likes

Hi,

Here’s a link to it via Amazon, but some hardware stores may stock it, too:
weld-on 4

But applying this really thin stuff is tricky, so the thicker #3 may be easier to work with.

Pending the size of the joint, it only takes moments to set–nearly instantaneous is some types of joints/acrylic. (Clear is fastest, and it can very by color/opaqueness). Though fully cure is 24 hours, but I’ve moved small items within moments and didn’t have any joint failure.

4 Likes

That gave me a good laugh!

I’ve got drawers full of it. It comes in handy when you want to test on the actual material you’re going to build with.
Thanks for sharing those with us, and enjoy the adventure! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Fairy lights!

2 Likes

Beautiful ! Well done!

2 Likes

Wonderful designs!:heart_eyes: Something to think about with that general look is that if you design in three rings to hold vertical pieces with small matching notches that the bottom is outside the middle is inside and the top is outside, then with any deep considering even if the notches are loose will still hold itself together.

Alternatively particularly if you are making a bunch of them a rack that will just hold things together while the glue dries could work better than trying to make the rack be yourself

2 Likes

Terrific! Thank you so much! This is a whole new world of materials for me. I have never worked with acrylic (other than acrylic paint and resin) before now. So much to learn.

" if you design in three rings to hold vertical pieces with small matching notches that the bottom is outside the middle is inside and the top is outside, then with any deep considering even if the notches are loose will still hold itself together."

If I understand your meaning, this is what I did (the third ring is sort of hidden by the “heads” of the ornament), but still, getting everything together is a bit of a dexterity challenge, especially with the smoothness of the acrylic. I have some wood prototypes that hold together happily without glue, but the acrylic doesn’t have enough friction. I gave the bottom ring a light sanding, but it was still a bit tricky. Maybe I need to rough up the notches themselves a bit more…

1 Like

I washed all of the pieces in water and white vinegar before assembling them. I wonder if that cut down on any static that might have otherwise caused issues.

Maybe!

Agree! I just started experimenting/dipping my toe into the water of this whole new pond just over a month ago!

1 Like

This is the thing I was thinking about…

Oh! Interesting!

1 Like

Congratulations on completing your project! So much fun. They turned out lovely!

2 Likes

Yeah, what they said - those are adorable!

Not so much for acrylic, but you may find these serrated tabs helpful if you’re working in wood!

2 Likes