One Vase, Two Vase, Three Vase. More?

Getting inspiration from seeing a post by @pauline.lally, I decided to take a crack at making a few vases. The first couple were must modifications of the Thingiverse tupip flatpack vase. The first I added color on draftboard to see how it would turn out along with some engraving. The second was geometric shapes cutout on Walnut. The third was an enclosure for a 2" bottle I picked up at Hobby Lobby, this also on walnut.

Off to the next project!

103 Likes

Oooh, like them all but the little square bottle is a fav! :grinning:

6 Likes

Those are beautiful!

4 Likes

Really nice, I have some designing to do. I don’t like to trash bottles, too useful. Thanks for the inspiration.

5 Likes

Wife saves those little syrup bottles from Cracker Barrel.
If I feel like a new project I may show her your effort.

5 Likes

Inspiring! Need to get back to some more vases… I keep buying funky glass at the dollar store…

4 Likes

They’re all amazing, but I love everything about that first one!

2 Likes

What a beautiful job. You are an inspiration to us all.

1 Like

Oh wow, you’ve really pushed the concept to a new level!

2 Likes

Wow this is amazing!

1 Like

All very pretty, but I really love that blue/wood combo!

2 Likes

I have questions on the first one, but if you consider them trade secrets, I’ll understand! Did you paint the area with the swirls before etching? If so, is it like a wash? And how did you get the blue outline? (I see that it’s not just on the edges, but outlining the swirl area, too) Masking?

2 Likes

Super sweet!! I like your modifications.

1 Like

It’s not a trade secret, but it is a PITA. In my design, I use Illustrator as my tool of choice, I create an negative offset path from the outside border. The outside border will be cut, so it’s set to one color, and the line that is the result of the offset will be a score, and set to a different color. I also use that inside line to perform a clipping mask on the design that I want to engrave. I load everything up into the glowforge UI, and make multiple passes at each. I’m using proofgrade, so the draftboard was already masked.

Ensure that your wood is taped/magnet/honeycomb hold down to the bed, as you don’t want it to move, and will be used a jig for multiple passes.

• Step one: Run the job with the score first, and the cut second. No Engrave yet.
  • Step Two: Pull the pieces out, and remove only the masking from the part you want to paint.
  • Step Three: Paint the outside edge on each side and let dry.
  • Step Four: Remove the rest of the masking and place back into the glowforge and run the engrave.
  • Step Five: Turn the pieces over and run the engrave on the other side. You will need to have 1/2 your pieces reflected in the design so that they can be swapped and placed into the jig.
  • Step Six: Assemble!

I like how this turned out, but not sure about this specific color. I would probably do something less flashy next time, but the concept worked out. Let me know if you have any other questions!

27 Likes

Thank you so much! I used to know how to do clipping masks in Photoshop, but now I’ll have to learn in Inkscape or Affinity Designer.

I have to say that you always take your pieces to the next level. It’s inspiring.

1 Like

I absolutely love the first one! All of them are fabulous. Thanks for explaining your process.

1 Like

These are wonderful, thanks for sharing

I usually just by non-flavored, non-sweetened plain yogurt so I don’t pay attention to all the varieties. I was looking for a likely candidate for culturing some of my own when I noted the Oui brand of yogurt from Yoplait. There are in some great glass bottles that caught my attention. I thought about putting a note in the dairy case to contact me if they buy this brand. I figured after a couple weeks I’d get more glasses than I could ever use.

3 Likes

My wife always asks me, “Why did you buy that?” and she already knows the answer, it’s because of the bottle… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

The dark blue glass always calls to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes