First Print Error7/8/20

Is it possible for glowforge to send you a faulty laser machine? I just got mine and it won’t cut correctly. Proofgrade materials, good for measure won’t pop out.

All machines are tested and calibrated but they can be damaged in shipping.

Note the time of these prints so they can check the logs, and also show a picture of the back of the material.

the cherry wood was printed on 7/5 and again on 7/8
the draftwood was printed on 7/8

is there a way to look at a log to see what time you printed this? i am new to glowforge.

thank you!

Welcome! Did you use the “set focus” tool under the 3 dot menu before you ran the print?
I have developed the habit of holding the material so it can’t move, and using a piece of masking tape to see if the cut lifts out. If not, you can run the cut again and avoid wasting material.

If you’ve followed the troubleshooting steps for this issue, make note that here.

Support uses the GoGM print on the spare provided draftboard to diagnose issues. So after checking those things above, making certain the material is flat against the bed (it looks it from the sharpness of the print), print it again and take pics, post here with the time (and timezone) and they can check the logs to ensure the settings are correct.

If they are, then it’s likely the machine will need to be replaced.

Doing all of this in advance will save you time once they check in.

this is the pro and it has an auto focus feature. but thank you for the advice.

1 Like

Your welcome! All glowforges have autofocus, the “set focus” tool was developed to ensure precision focus at the surface of the material. it is a valuable addition to the feature set.

1 Like

print on 7/8/2020 at 6:00 pm central time
gift of good measure on medium draftboard

i also wiped down all the cameras
received the glowforge on 7/3/20

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble. I appreciate you taking the time to send over multiple images of the print results you’ve been experiencing. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review your most recent prints, and compare it with the details you’ve provided.

I would like to check over just a few more things. Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with next steps.

1 Like

Update: they think it got damaged while being shipped so they are going to send me a new one right away. Wow! Amazing service!!

Hi there! We received our GF on July 3 as well. Gift of good measure has not cut through after multiple attempts. We have read the troubleshooting and followed the info. Tray is flat, lens clean. Here is our latest attempt on July 10 at 11:07! Please advise as we are so excited to get going!

Thank you!

I see that we’ve in touch with the next steps through email, so this post will be closed while we continue to work on this with you there.

@kel.duncan I see we’ve received your email and we’ll update you with the next steps today. I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with your new Glowforge.