First project: a jukebox

I feel a bit outclassed here, seeing some of the other work folks have done, but here we go: I made this for my younger brother’s 70th birthday. It’s modeled after a 1959 Wurlitzer model 2300S. It plays your favorite personally owned music, using a Pimoroni 4" square display and a Raspberry Pi 3A running software I wrote. I see plenty of things to improve upon, but I’m happy to report my brother was quite pleased. Sadly, I must strongly recommend against the Krylon metallic chrome paint. You can see on some chrome parts where just touching it after seven days of drying causes it to tarnish. A clear top-coat didn’t help - it dulled the finish. Their metallic Silver paint does much better.
I am out of this world pleased with my new Glowforge Plus!

51 Likes

Great project! Love the raspberry pi integration!

8 Likes

Wow, fantastic first project! Awesome and welcome!!

5 Likes

You are being awarded the Glowforge Super Hero award. This project is INCREDIBLE!!

6 Likes

Fantastic job! (Looks like the real thing!) :grinning: :+1:

4 Likes

You must be joking… this is amazing!!

Such detail and electronic integration! I look forward to your future projects, even if they are not as “grand” as this one. You clearly have an eye for the right details.

8 Likes

That looks fantastic! And if ever a project needed a banana for scale… I’m guessing it is around 8" or so tall?

3 Likes

8-1/2". Good guess. It’s 5" wide, meaning it matches the proportions of the 2300s.

1 Like

Your younger brother is a lucky guy and you rocked this project. I look forward to seeing what else you make.

5 Likes

I’d say you have some major skills!! This is sooooo awesome!

Can’t imagine what I’d feel if someone gave me a gift like this (knowing the work it entails). Very impressive!

2 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

Now if you could make the music selection buttons work or as a touch screen, wow. Magnificent work.

1 Like

No, I do though. That is just amazing!

2 Likes

Thank you. The Pimoroni display is a touch screen. The software i wrote allows music selection through the display (like your phone). It would be difficult for an adult to use the letters/numbers buttons. They’re pretty small.

1 Like

Wow! This is amazing! If you’re feeling outclassed…you need to stop. :slightly_smiling_face: You’re talent and skills are right there at the top. I hope you will post more of what you make. Thank you for showing us.

2 Likes

Amazing first project

2 Likes

Holy smokes! Feeling a bit outclassed here.

1 Like

You did a great job on this congrats. Fist bump - High five - Shaking your hand and a big Pat on the back. Thanks for sharing this. I look forward to seeing more.

Keep Creating

excellent job - definitely outclasses 90% of the posts here

2 Likes