Lowcountry Edge-lit Bathymetric Map

Always learning something new here. Thanks.

7 Likes

This is beautiful! I love the two blues and the engraving. Adding light … wow!

3 Likes

The magnetic pole drifts by many miles per year, and has flipped many times in the past. It’s not out of the realm of possibility for it to occur again in our lifetimes.

The printed nautical maps usually have dates to show when they were calculated. You’ll also note there is a geographical “North” on the compass rose on official maps. The sample shared above shows it.

3 Likes

Oh god, don’t get the north-up map debate started. It’s akin to asking Judaism, Islam or Christianity, which one is correct?

6 Likes

Just caught my eye.
Shields Up. Red Alert. Set Phasers To Stun…

1 Like

Oooh gorgeous! (as always!)

2 Likes

The edge lit effect is very nice. This is one of the nicest maps that I have seen.

1 Like

Very nice!

2 Likes

What a beautiful project!

1 Like

I like it! Please confirm you used just two colors of acrylic (What appear to be reflected bookcases on the opposing wall initially fooled me into thinking there were more than two colors.) Is the LED strip of the COB variety?

I live on the Appomattox River two miles up from its confluence with the James. A map like yours would work well for this region also.

Again, nice work!

2 Likes

That looks FANTASTIC! VERY nicely done!

I’m using 4 colors of acrylic. Dark blue, then teal, then transparent light blue, then clear. I don’t like how the transparent light blue came out, and hoped that it would show better when lit up. I’d use something different if I were to do it again.

Yes.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0936N461K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_R0QKCPCCKQCMN1590XYM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Thank you!

Another question, if you will. Would you please indicate an area where you used the light blue you’re not happy with? I’m guessing the area called “Joiner Bank” on the original bathy map is one place. Yes? Also, did you use the clear only for the compass and deep channel names? (I assume the clear covers the whole image.)

Thank you. Obviously I’m inspired by what you’ve done.

Paul

1 Like

It’s the darker areas above the teal/ The clear covers the entire area, engraved in reverse so its on the back.

2 Likes

Once again, thanks. The arrows are very helpful. And I like the idea of etching on the back of the clear acrylic.

I expect to be doing one or more of these for my region and one for a cousin on Oak Island. You’ve inspired me.

Here’s the sort of thing I like making: First project: a jukebox

2 Likes

All most Heaven, Low Country Carolina.
Moultrie High Class of 56
TA

2 Likes

Very nice!
Is your LED light a battery powered unit?
I had been thinking along this line myself but had not acted on the concept.
Any suggestion on sourcing the LED light?
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

No, it’s wall powered. You can get ones with a barrel pole type connector or USB. Search COB and LED strip on amazon, which should get you pointed in the right direction.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=COB+LED+STRIP

1 Like

Thank you.
Tom

1 Like