First thing I tried on my Glowforge (a recycled cardboard crayon caddy)

Very useful use of free material.

1 Like

The Glowforge allows one to ‘contemplate’ a project or need; draw in design ‘experience’ to conceptualize the final result; and then execute quite easily an ‘alpha’, ‘beta’, or ‘final’ of that project with a multitude of materials available.

Very well done … but this isn’t your first ‘project’ it is simply the first of many I hope you will share with the GROWING group of forgers. :sunglasses::glowforge:

2 Likes

Excellent use! I’m playing with cardboard, but more sculptural stuff. I need to build something useful.

1 Like

I love what you did! Making something like that is so satisfying. I also use cardboard a lot to make sure my design and measurements are accurate. When I make a box, I tape it together and then end up using it for some little thing anyway. I’m pretty bad about not throwing stuff out.

3 Likes

@scampa123 - Cheers!

Thank you, @pauline.lally . Free is good. I always feel a little guilty when I get an oversized box for my Amazon orders. Now I can make use of them.

1 Like

@bmcgrain - I couldn’t agree more. Things that exist in three dimensions need to occupy a “space” and the best way to test a theory is to quickly, iterate through objects to fill that space. I went to school as a graphics and packaging major and what I miss about those days is that we used to lay things out physically on full size mat boards. You got a real sense of the effect of scale on the design. Ever since DTP, a lot of that is lost. Younger designers do the bulk of their work in the computer and only output toward the later stages. In way, Glowforge :glowforge: has brought me back to my analog design roots. Thank you, and I look forward to being part of this great community.

2 Likes

Thanks @GaryZ !Love your work! I’d love to do more sculptural stuff myself. I’m just getting started here though, so it may take me a while before I get up there. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m new and experimenting too,

Thank you @Xabbess ! It’s funny that with Glowforge :glowforge:, a “test piece” looks so sharp, it gets mistaken for a final product. I had some parents over for my daughter’s birthday and they asked me if the caddy was a kit I got somewhere. Same thing with my parents. I show them on a video chat and explain how I made it, but they still don’t get it. They think I made it from a kit!

3 Likes

A common problem as can be seen in anyone’s scrap pile,

I have a huge pile of cardboard that I have not had the nerve to cut but perhaps when Puff returns home from his revival…

At least I think I will have an easier time dumping scrap cardboard.

4 Likes

how awesome idea :grinning: I’m new with my Glowforge too. Where can I find those kind of templates???

1 Like

This is a good start

5 Likes

This is awesome!! I have a 2.5 yr old that I so need this for… I’m not the best artist yet with my Ai software (newbie). Would you mind sharing the .svg file?

1 Like

Don’t mind at all. However, I’ve noticed a few things that I want to address. For one thing the edge of the corrugated cardboard along the grain is basically hollow. You can hot melt glue gun them in but sometimes the gap just sucks up the glue. I did mine with wood glue and it took a while to dry. I am working on an update to this that will work with through tenons that I hope will be easier to put together and potentially glue-less (well, for the most part). I’ll make a new post when it’s done and I’ll put it in the Free Designs section. Cheers.

2 Likes

Nice. I think that function wins over appearance any day. Some materials may last longer, but the ease of cardboard and low cost kind of makes these items preferable. I have yet to redo my Kleenex boxes in more durable material. They are lasting so well with a layer of blue masking tape on them. I haven’t felt the need to remake them.

Not that any of these categories are mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

A reminder: to help maintain a friendly environment for all, asking for files/patterns is a no-no per the forum guidelines.

3 Likes

The file was offered to me previously, so I give a pass on this one :wink:

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I will have to start using card board now. What a great idea w all those amazon boxes!

1 Like

Did not know this! Thank you for telling me and I totally get that. I’m an amateur to the artistry of Ai software and all its capabilities. Just signed up for some training. Again, thank you!