First white tile with an awesome twist

Ha! I did a moon, too. (Photo by a friend, used with permission). I painted the tile with black acrylic paint – not as neat and tidy as spray paint, but it was just an experiment to see how it would work.

The stand it’s on is a smaller version of @Janerlea’s design, modified to hold stuff more vertically than its larger counterpart.

16 Likes

THAT’S NO MOON! Oh wait. Yes it is :rofl:

5 Likes

Thank you for posting your technique and settings. They look just amazing!

A part of the mystique of lasered tile it seems to me is that in particular portraits will still be the same thousands of years from now giving a sense of immortality to the person in the portrait not easily available in other media,

1 Like

…until someone drops it!

Even broken engraves tile would still show the design just as thousand year old (and more) pot shards do today.

1 Like

I know, I was joking! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that version posted on the thread?? I may need it, for reasons …

OOooohhh… your moon is much prettier! Much sharper.

I bet you started with a better source image and would love to know the details to get from source to that level of tile sharpness!!

BTW: I’ve had good luck coating tiles with Mod Podge. Takes a while to fully cure, but seems to work very well. I don’t know how well it’d work w/the paint-then-laser tiles and there is some risk that it’ll take the paint off if you don’t apply it just so!

This is my source image.

1 Like

This is the kind I used called now spray paint but any kinda should work

2 Likes

I went a little more in detail on this post here as well: My tile trick ramping up the testing of what it can do

1 Like

I’m happy to add it to the free designs section, if that’s okay with you!

1 Like

Honestly the original was just awesome. I don’t remember doing anything other than inverting the image!

2 Likes

So is the idea that the laser vaporizes the black paint away leaving behind the image that you want? How resilient is the resulting finished product? Does the paint scrape off? I was thinking of using this technique to make some custom coasters.

1 Like

Thats the idea, I sprayed one down with shellac but it left a ring on it once i put a drink on top, not sure if it will do this with no clear coat or not, didn’t try that. I just doing it as an art piece for the other two I did and didn’t want to ruin them.

Got my replacement gf today and finally got to etch my painted tile. Using great artwork makes a big difference. This is for my personal use and a test of my settings.

12 Likes

Looks great! :grinning:

How did you achieve the evenness in the large areas of engrave?
BTW Great Work!

It really isn’t much of an engrave. Similar to scratchboard, I am just taking the top layer of black spray paint off a white tile. I used an image from a copy of a David Finch cover and converted it to halftone in Photoshop.

Looks great, glad to see the technique work for you