Flames while cutting?

Hello, not sure if this is a “problem” but just curious about what tech support has to say.

I have been using my GF for about 5 months now, same material and same style of engravings, just different designs. Lately I noticed (maybe in the past 2 days) that whenever the GF is cutting the material (1/8" plastic) there are huge yellow flames that last for about 2-3 seconds and they go away (because of the fan). IT didnt use to do this before, ever!

Not sure if there was an update or something but what could cause this flames?

It is concerning because of the obvious safety issue and also not sure how in the long/short term these flames may affect the lenses and anything in the head

you fan might be dirty and not rotating at the desired speed.

or are you using magnets to hold your material down?

apparently some magnets can affect the speed of the air assist fan.

2 Likes

no magnets, I’ll check the fan. Thanks

Good luck!

it apparently can get really gummed up depending on what you are lasering.

There are two fans in that area - one on the head that’s about 1/2" across and one on the metal carriage plate that’s about an 1 1/4" - check both, but it’s the bigger one that blows on your material.

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble while printing. The advice that @ca_worth and @deirdrebeth provided is a great next step. While you’re cleaning your air assist fan, will you please take a photo of it and share it with us? Also, I recommend following the instructions in our support guide here: Cleaning Your Air Assist Fan.

1 Like

Thanks, cleaning the fans fixed the issue!

1 Like

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!