Flaming while cutting acrylic

I’m having a huge issue with my acrylic flaming while cutting. I’ve been cutting it previously - same board, same masking, same file, same setting with no issues. I’ve cleaned my forge and cleaned the fans (without removing them). I wasn’t sure if this was related to the other issues going on over the weekend with it going offline or not. The last cut I tried I kept getting the error message when I tried to focus - saying to turn off the machine which I did repeatedly. Tried the cut anyway but the flames were too bad to continue.

Are you using Proofgrade acrylic? I am sure that your flames have nothing to do with other users’ being offline. Flames are often the result of the air assist fan not working perfectly. I believe you should take another look at the air assist fan and printhead fan.

4 Likes

If the flame is clearly blowing forward and not sticking around, you’re fine - but if it’s not then likely there is stuff deeper into your air assist fan and it needs additional cleaning. It doesn’t need to be removed, but you will need to pull the carriage plate off and poke something skinny through the fan into the chamber beyond.

This is an example of fine: https://youtu.be/Q0EgpA-VQi8

Now, to the focus question, the two windows on the underside of your laser head need to be clean for the focus to work - if you’re getting a lot of smoke and flame it’s possible they’ve also gotten dirty!

2 Likes

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble recently when printing on acrylic. I see that you’ve emailed us about this, and I’ve sent you a response with next steps, so I’m going to close this thread and our team will continue to assist you via email.