Flexi Earsavers from your Scrap

literally this (picked up at target)

but yeah, any hair tie like this will work.

2 Likes

Here is the SVG for a full sheet w everything done, No double lines and the Flexi parts built-in The extra engraves and note are there but turned off…
GlowforgeEarSaversFullsheet_v3
GlowforgeEarSaversFullsheet_v3.zip (106.0 KB)

4 Likes

I went out for the first time since this nonsense started to a restaurant to help friends who work at hospice and bring earsavers. We needed disabled transport to get there with the power chair and I gave out earsavers to them and the employees at the restaurant and both they and I were astonished at the difference they made, They were ready to buy them but I was like Santa Claus bringing gifts they did not know were possible.

A few things I noticed. Gas was $1.68, higher than I expected. Traffic was lighter than normal but only a little far more than I would expect though most businesses were closed. We ate outside at the most upwind point available, but while the staff was in protection few of the customers were and most ate inside, many older and disabled though I was the only wheelchair.

The county is number 5 in the state behind Orlando and South Florida, so I guess the danger will not go away anytime soon.

2 Likes

Gas here in CT was $1.65 yesterday when I filled up the truck. We’ve got some of the highest gas taxes in the country so I’m surprised yours was more.

We don’t start opening restaurants for another 2 weeks but then it’s only for outdoor eating and everyone wears masks except when eating ($250 fine for not wearing one). Staff has to spread out duties so someone will take the order & payment, another will bring the food, another will clear the table. All designed to reduce cross-contact. Capacity is reduced by half from pre-pandemic levels & tables have to be spaced so there’s a 6ft bubble between tables.

No word on when indoor seating will be allowed. Schools are closed until the fall and they’re figuring out how that will be managed.

Supply and demand, at some point that works, no matter the taxes, or rather it is all taxes, just a matter who collects.

I went out for the first time INSIDE some place since mid March. We went into the dentist office for a checkup and was met at the door with a “stop right there please”; lady walks out of door to my right, held up something that was supposed to take my temperature…guess she was related to a Stormtrooper because she must have missed a few times. :wink: I did have a mask on that I had finished making just 5 minutes before…totally forgot about dental appointment until 11pm the night before! Needed to make a couple of masks…so late night.

There was I think like 6 chairs in the waiting area all spaced out (to a room that normally had chairs that were all touching each other normally) … kinda strange to see the chairs in there because they were all fabric covered. hmmm

Back in the room to get my teeth cleaned & xrays (since when did they stop laying the 20 pound lead apron across you?) …they hygenist was wearing 2 masks and a face shield.

Offered up some ear savers and found out there is another Glowforge owner in Kansas that also goes to this dentist. So today son brought in some of the “princess clips” by @jeremiah so they can give some feedback on them.

I made some masks for parents and they requested some ear savers for a couple of their friends, so sent some princess clips to them as well (my oldest suggested I cut those in bright acrylic to make it easier for the older people to find them … I had been cutting in clear and white…so good idea). I had to go mail them…a bit nervous because the parking lot was full at the post office and the line was almost out the door (my new mask & gloves were on)…I thought to myself “wow this is just like the Christmas rush at the post office”; then a lady glanced over her shoulder at me and I took a quick look around…it was a social distancing line! whoops! I quickly apologized and took a few steps back…turns out there were only 4 people waiting in line…times that by 6 foot and you were almost out the front door waiting in line!

I can’t tell you what the gas prices were here today as I drive electric…but the super chargers weren’t busy — guessing because people aren’t quite traveling yet.

Bummer is we are down to one car…the ICE vehicle died and needs a new motor (groan) so the hubby is smiling all the way out the door each morning to get into my EV. sucks when he works 45 minutes away and we had to leave at 6am to get him to work so I could take the son to the dentist today. So the trip to take him to work, return home, go back to get him tonight and back home will result in 3 hours of driving! I’m used to a 20 minute drive to work…totally spoiled. :wink: Can’t wait to get back to work again…at least the advantage of being furloughed at the moment is that I have time to make the masks and ear savers.

Will have to order some additional acrylic…I’m out except for the “green glass” (and that’s not going into ear savers) and the last couple of pieces of acrylic that I saved to cut mask and “hat” patterns for my friend that is sewing them for her daughter, the nurse, and the co-workers. The acrylic will help speed up the time to cut them out by using a rotary cutter… so will have to join the pieces together to make it much faster to cut. She was so happy when I suggested that I cut her patterns out of acrylic. Yay GF! :slight_smile:

Well so much for the break, I need to go sew some additional masks and get them sent to my parents because they really need to wear them…they said the numbers there were rising in their ZIP CODE (retirement city) … and then I’ll need to make us additional masks so we don’t have to wash them each day.

3 Likes

Awesome…perfect…thank you!

I made some out of that before I ramped up to big orders (I’m getting 100 sheets a time from BF Plastics). They sure are purty in that green glass acrylic :slight_smile: I did save some of those for friends & family though.

1 Like

I hadn’t bought it before…had bought it right before the virus started up … was waiting for my new infinity duct fan to arrive and to have some time…now I have the fan…waiting for it to get installed (right now it is carry in and out of house until the window gets cut)…it’s been raining here like every other day which slows things down. I can’t wait to see it…going to cut some shelves that @BigBlueMark designed…can’t wait! going to make my mom (and her friends) some green glass earrings out of any tiny little spot left on the sheet.

which sheets are you buying from BF plastics?

I bought some of all of the 1/16" stuff. It all worked okay or better except the IPI Innovative Plastics stuff. The Granite Deluxe collection was the best. I just bought the last 300 sheets of the 1/16" stuff (except for some IPI they still have left) and am also getting some of the 1/8" Granites. I’m buying the qtr sheets (12x24) for $2.50 each which is a great deal over other sources. I’m going to try their 1/32" stuff but that’s pretty thin (0.030") so not sure how that works out. If it doesn’t I’ll clean them out of their 1/8" :slight_smile:

They’re in OH so I get it within a couple of days via UPS.

The 12x24 gets me 92 earsavers - I trim 4 1/2" off the top and cut a full sheet then when I’m done I do the remnant sections (15 earsavers each). I have two jigs setup to be able to do 1 full sheet of 12x19.5 & 2 12x4.5 pieces. I use a jig with a window cut into it for the plastic so I don’t need to worry about warping (I got some of that when I cut it without any magnets or pins or anything - the jig is thick draftboard that overlays the edges so the acrylic doesn’t warp up).

1 Like

for the 1/8 granite, i recommend avoiding the black backed. that stuff cuts dirtiest of all of them. the gold back was the cleanest, by far, followed by clear.

Indeed. It was clean on both sides, no overburn/melt. I liked that stuff. I didn’t try engraving it - I think that was advertised as rotary only. I’ve got some clear stuff I have to cut this week that needs to be customized with engraving. I should do some experiments with the Granites but I’ve got another 4,500 to do this week.

1 Like

I wish I had saved my scrap. I’ve cut about 1800, and this would have added to the count. I’m off to work on this for the future.

2 Likes

As one every two lines that would have put you over 2000

1 Like

Would you mind sharing that pattern please? I have lots of odd spots in some of my left over acrylic that I could get some of that style out of. I am going to donate all those thin rubber band ones for this cause…I haven’t used any of them.

sure. someone here put it up a while ago, but i don’t remember who.

Ear Anchor 1 inch long

5 Likes

I thought I had saved it but couldn’t find it in my “ear savers” folder. Thank you.

So cute!

How do you like the acrylic from BF Plastics over the Proofgrade acrylic?

I’m going to be making earsavers and an input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!