Flexify 2: Seamless Panoramic Polyhedrals

4kr1k7
I know I said I was retiring from polyhedrals for a while, but recently found this photoshop plugin that lets you export images to polyhedral shapes. Plus, I had to make a gift for someone…

So, I also thought some of you might be interested in this plugin. Basically, you can take a full panoramic like a map, or in my case, a seamless pattern doodle, and use Flexify to export to a number of polyhedral shapes. I am making a Truncated Icosahedron. There are a boat load of export options, but the polyhedrals are limited to various platonic and Archimedean solids, with a few stellations.

I selected this seamless fall doodle pattern as the base image:

Flexify plugin changes it to this. There is a nice feature where it exports each face to it’s own layer in a new photoshop file.

After some magic in Illustrator to create the SVG file, and a bunch of hours engraving, this is the resulting Truncated Icosahedron.

The 3D printed connectors for a Truncated Icosahedron can be found here:

73 Likes

Wow! I am so glad that you didn’t retire. That is gorgeous.

5 Likes

Do you now have a room full of these somewhere in your house lol?

6 Likes

This is a gift, so it’s not staying. But, in general, I have too many of these on display, and need to figure out a way to get rid of some.

5 Likes

Oh, that is 'way too cool!

3 Likes

you can give one to me. Also, is there any side that does not have the pattern line up?

2 Likes

All sides match up!

4 Likes

Wish it were a standalone app. No photoshop whomp

4 Likes

Amazing

2 Likes

wow

2 Likes

That’s all kinds o’ kewl! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

As always, amazing work. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Hey I´ll take any work from the polyhedral master @pubultrastar , you can always count on me to help you unclutter. :wink:

4 Likes

Since I do panoramic photography, I even have Flexify already. :grinning:

1 Like

This is so cool!

1 Like

Another mind blowing amazing work.
I know Gimp and maybe Inkscape are able to use Adobe plug-ins. I am wondering if someone who has the plug-in might check to see if this one particularly would work there?

2 Likes

Great job! These plugins get more and more interesting. I’d like to second @rbtdanforth s suggestion! Can others check to see if the plug in works with inkscape or gimp?

2 Likes

Another beautiful piece from you.

2 Likes

Hey, that’s really cool! I will have to check out that plug-in.

2 Likes

Really pretty work! Unfortunately, Apple’s Catalina update (worst update ever) murdered my copy of photoshop.

3 Likes

Well, would you look at that, it works.

I was able to get the plugin installed in GIMP.

14 Likes