Terrific!!!
Thankyou!
:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

whatโ€™s next after this??

3 Likes

Amazing! It makes me want to start using Photoshop instead of Inkscape

2 Likes

In this case, the relevant equivalent program is Gimp and not Inkscape.

1 Like

I used Photoshop to export the faces to a PSD file. You could use Gimp for that. But, then I had to import that PSD file into Illustrator and rotate each face to match up with the cut lines I had for my polyhedral. So, Iโ€™m sure there is an equivalent process for inkscape to generate the SVG.

1 Like

Yep, And you can generate the SVG from Gimp as well,

2 Likes

The things you make are way too good for you to retire.

2 Likes

Novemeber? Thatโ€™s gonna be good for a LONG time!

4 Likes

I just screenshot, spellcheck is up to them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Uhhh, yeah, definitely added this to my stack of bookmarks. Great work as per usual!

1 Like

Whaaaaat? Amazing!

1 Like

Very cool find, and fantastic project!

1 Like

+1 to mpratherโ€™s question โ€” would love to learn the steps following the one shown here! Never made this kind of object, donโ€™t know what is left to be done in illustration + assembly steps :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Are you asking how I create the polyhedal itself, or what I did specifically with Flexify to get the seamless pattern on the outside?

1 Like

Hi There, I am curious what you attach them too and how. Love these and would like to experiment for a DND gift for my daughter

Mike has a very detailed assembly overview here:

1 Like

Well, the internal connectors are 3D printed and attached with screws. The are ways to do this with laser printed connectors as well. I got started by getting the base platonic solids from Thingiverse:

I then started designing my own using Fusion 360 for more complex polyhedrals. Here is a link to a workshop I did explaining my process:

I have a link to a free connector for a icosadodeahedron here:

I used to get the dihedral angles and necessary infor mation for the polyhedrals I wanted to build off wikipedia. Now, I use a program called Stella4D to create even more complex shapes.

If you just wanna buy the STL files for the connectors Iโ€™ve designed, there are here:

https://design.alienworkshop.net/3d-printer-files/

Iโ€™m happy to answer any more questions about the process, but this should get you started.

5 Likes

Novemeber is the month between November and December so you can get everything you need done before year end. Itโ€™s like Floopuary for the first quarter.

6 Likes

what about making a death start?

any way to map photos of it onto something like that?