Designing with 1/4th inch

My experiences with 1/4" were not positive, so I have generally avoided working with it. I know several people here do use it without issue.

6 Likes

Personally, I prefer 1/8" across the board (no pun intended). If I need a 1/4" thickness, I’ll generally use two layers, which creates interesting opportunities for layered designs, grooved lids, concealed joints, etc.

Using a mix of 1/4" and 1/8" is also an option; the 1/4" thickness is good for interior structures and overall strength, with the 1/8" used for ornament and facades. But 95% of my inventory is 1/8" material, and I use it almost exclusively.

9 Likes

Columbia Forest purebond cuts pretty well at that thickness.

7 Likes

I find I like it much better for all but tiny things, especially when I am doing deep relief engraving and will happily go thicker yet for richly engraved tops.

Even though only 3 inches on a side I was able to engrave the bottom of the top to have the lid fit.

This quarter inch butternut was more substantial as well.

5 Likes

I’ll use it when I need strength, or am planning a deep engrave. Otherwise I stick with 1/8".

So it totally depends on the project!

4 Likes

I used 1/4" Baltic birch ply for this project:

… and this one:

I have also used it for some smaller utility bits here and there.

Despite both batches (from two different suppliers) I’ve used allegedly being B grade, there were some glue plugs in the cut paths. I had to saw through those spots by hand. It cuts great in the spots without glue plugs but, I now generally expect cutting 1/4" Baltic birch ply to be a hassle and, am less likely to use it.

2 Likes

2nding the Columbia Purebond project sheets from Home Depot. I use the Maple veneer to make wooden puzzles with: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-Forest-Products-1-4-in-x-1-ft-x-1-ft-7-in-PureBond-Maple-Plywood-Project-Panel-10-Pack-4735/312106043

3 Likes

Is it veneer core or MDF core? Looking, it would seem to be that there was a change I was not aware of. I quit looking because it was MDF but now the company seems to be trying to change folks perception.

Columbia Forest says Purebond has a yellow poplar core.

It’s my go-to for most projects, 5/32 Maple in GF-sized sheets (although it is 12" tall, so there can be some waste depending on how you position the sheets.)

7 Likes

I primarily use Columbia Forest Purebond also. It is unfinished, so I have to sand it and apply polyacrylic to it, but in the end it the best medium I have worked with.

I have some of their 1/4" stuff too, but I don’t use it much. I just really prefer the 5/32" sized sheets.

5 Likes

As is all the :proofgrade: sheets as well so there is the same issue. At the moment all my efforts are going to catalog stuff so have to use :proofgrade:

1 Like

I could have sworn it was MDF, every pic I’ve seen of purebond always looks like mdf.

I’ve stayed away because I think MDF edges look terrible, have I been wrong all this time?

It was a couple years ago I am sure as it was much touted and why I stayed away as well.

May have been at some point, but they market it as being poplar now.

1 Like

Some of my magic boxes I posted are with 1/4th Baltic birch from Lowes. Should be able to find them from my profile

I looked, just the reading hardwood and 2 leather bits. I had a Birch plywood piece that is no longer about and I just figured out why. Though another first try in cheap ply is still there.

2 Likes

Try this

1 Like

A really nice piece, but for your Etsy? shop. The only non-PG piece I noted was in the Glowforge shop and that was their first attempt to have stuff. I submitted a different shelf that is no longer there as well. Now the design needs to be for a specific PG material and made in that as proof you can.

I made a lamp that is very much a challenge and they have not yet placed it so it might be too much for the catalog in spite of being all PG lite cherry.

1 Like

I hate MDF also, but that is why I like the Purebond. It cuts cleanly and looks great. I rarely have any issues with it.

I just looked at some of my 1/4" Purebond, and the internal cut shows grain. So it either is poplar core or they found a way to give MDF wood grain…

8 Likes

That is why I was so happy with the PG lite plywood coming out. Now for some things CFP is back on the menu.