In the home section, you will find “foam mats”. They are usually about 2’ x 2’ and comes in packs of 4 that interconnect.
For the glue, I tried both a hot glue gun and lepage contact cement. The contact cement is stronger but a lot harder to work with. So for most of the swords, I’m using the hot glue gun. I used the higher temperature one to give me more time to position things.
That’s the Lepage stuff I used. (contact cement) My only issue with it, is that you have to cover both surfaces. In some cases, one surface is smaller than the other (like the bird on the shield). I can easily cover the back of the bird, but I’m not sure where to put the glue on the shield itself so it matches with the bird. I guess I could outline it with a pencil or something first. But it was a little more complicated than just using a hot glue gun.
Sorry I did not share it earlier. I’ve had a really busy couple of week.
Here is the SVG that I used to make the final swords (right-click, save as).
My kids played with them with friends for an entire evening. They were not gentle. At the end of the night, you could feel that the swords were much “looser” than before. I’m not sure how well they will handle it in the long run.
I had to cut them with the bed out of the GF, because they were too thick to place on the bed.
I used the settings of 180 zooms, 55 pews, 2 passes (on a pro). This would cut the black EVA mats very well, but some of the colored EVA mats did not cut as well. I need to experiment with making 2 passes, but at different focus depths.
I used the original oneEigth and oneSixtheens files from the previous post to make the decorations on the first sword.