Focus beam light stays on

During the entire cut, the focus beam laser stays on. Is this a recent change or a glitch?

1 Like

Now the cut process ‘starts’ without me pressing the button, but it only starts on the interface, not the glowforge. (the timer runs)
Something is really woncky right now.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear your Glowforge app is having issues where the clock is starting before you push the button.

Can you give me more details on what you are seeing when the focus beam laser is staying on during prints? if you can give me the date and time of the prints that did this?

I also extracted logs from your Glowforge and it looks like your Glowforge was able to connect successfully to your network, but it may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. When this is the case, you won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again, but this could cause the issues you are seeing.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for getting back to me. Right before I created the ticket I was having the issues. The height measuring beam stayed on for an entire burn. The next burn, the ‘process’ started when I pressed print in the browser. By process, I mean the timer started and it looked like the burn was happening, but the glow forge did nothing.

I powered down, cleaned everything up and i haven’t had a problem since.

On another note, I have had a few ‘head bumped’ errors when nothing was bumped.
I discovered that the white ribbon was binding up inside the rail and when it broke loose the error was triggered. A good cleaning has solved this.

Hi @halgrenj. That’s great news, and I’m happy to hear that you were able to get this sorted out. I’m also happy to see that you were able to figure out the cause and resolve the issue with the printer head getting bumped. Since it sounds like you were able to get up and printing, I’ll go ahead and close this thread, but feel free to create a new thread if you run into any other trouble. We’ll be here and happy to help. Happy printing!