Focus Marker shows where your Glowforge autofocused: 05/28/19 Latest Improvements

20 Likes

Useful for absent-minded people like me!

1 Like

Perfect for when you glance away at JUST the wrong moment and miss the red spot.

3 Likes

I’ve actually never seen the red spot. My unit has always been in another room. So this new feature will prove interesting to me.

Like yesterday when I’m completely sure the red spot hit the 10" hole in my material, rather than the spot I was going to cut. Took me 3 or 4 tries before I got it to actually run the job. So this’ll help.

5 Likes

Cool. Removing ambiguity is a step forward.
I just had occasion to position an engraving file by eye - accurately. I’m loving the results of the new calibration tool and set focus. Well done Team. :+1::sunglasses:

3 Likes

So the focus cross-hair was replaced by the bounding-box square. While it probably didn’t change the focus spot itself, the cross-hair at least made me feel better. Today, I was engraving some pens and the box was a lot bigger than the pen’s cross section. I just placed the focus box so that the pen went thru the center and hoped for the best. I guess my question is: “is the focus spot at the center of the box or just somewhere within?”

1 Like

The bounding box shows you the general area where the focus will happen. Once you focus, it leaves a smaller square to show you where it landed, and that square sticks around until you either move it somewhere else or open the lid.

4 Likes

Yeah, but that smaller square is still bigger than my pen’s cross section. I think I’ll just pretend the center of the square is the sweet spot. It seemed to work ok.

1 Like

The crosshairs were not accurate either. They just went to an approximate area. It’s basing that selection point off of an uncorrected bed view so it’s only approximate.

If you want it (the focus selection area) to be accurate, you should probably put in an accurate material height.

2 Likes

The focus dot will usually land inside the box. If you are working with a small target area like a pen, you should watch during autofocus to be sure that the dot hits the center of the pen.

2 Likes

Again, it’s clear that folks still need a visual to understand what “approximate” means. On a very flat piece of material I used the Set Focus near the material center. Printed a target symbol. The outer circle is 0.5" in diameter. I again used the Set Focus tool at the exact center of the target as shown in the first picture. The second picture shows where the red laser spot measured the material height.

The placement is within the Focus Marker but approximately 1/2" off of center. If your material is small ensure the red laser spot fully strikes the material.

9 Likes

lest anyone think I’m a complete idiot (well, at least in this instance), I will restate my original thought. The cross-hair made me feel better about the accuracy, but it was understood to be focusing somewhere in the general vicinity. It’s much the same as having 140 MPH on the speedometer of my Hyundai.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.