Font Preferences

Just a general we question. but what are some of you guys popular fonts/scripts you like to use.

Depends on the application - cutting board, invitation, coaster, award, certificate…The use of Comic Sans gets pilloried.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. Particularly Cutting Boards

1 Like

If you do a forum search for “cutting boards” you will see that people do that a lot, and you can look over what they have chosen, fontwise. A lot of time they list what the font was. Personally, I like a nice standard serif style font like Times Roman or something similar, if it’s a relatively formal occasion. For a more playful look you could go for a script font (I like Limon but it’s not free).

1 Like

My only hard and fast rule is to not use anything too familiar. There are lots of great fonts in the world and I am not going to use Arial, etc.

FontBundles.net and DesignCuts.com have weekly freebies and sales. Sometimes you can get a really good font for free, or a dollar.

2 Likes

Check this post. If give some examples. Most of these fonts are standard from an Inkscape install.

1 Like

Just use Comic Parchment (formerly known as Comic Papyrus) for everything. :rofl:

7 Likes

66270396_632807650547100_7803509325434978304_n

That’s like asking which child is your favorite. :laughing: I have at lest 300 or more so it would be impossible to narrow it down as each project requires something different. A couple of my go-to fonts are Mistral and Pristina though.

3 Likes

But everyone loves Papyrus, so for a go to font…

Now to be a grown up. Google has 922 free and open source fonts at fonts.google.com. Being Google, they think web first, but you can download and install them on your computer.

Every week Creative Market has six free things, one or two are usually fonts. There are other open source font repositories out there as well.

Just as important as picking a good font for your project is picking a good font for your material and method. Thin lines in a flowing script may be lost when engraved small. What shows up well on anodized aluminum may not be so great in a wood, especially one with a pronounced grain. If you are going to fill your engrave with paint you need something to fill, so a bolder font will work better. And a final word of warning with script fonts: when converted to paths be careful where they meet. You may need to do a union, or some hand editing of nodes.

3 Likes

Don’t forget https://www.creativefabrica.com/. Tons of stuff including regularly posted freebies and several daily free gifts.

For signs and vintage logos, I use The Hanley collection a lot. A great feminine font with nice glyphs is Sophia Ronald. If you don’t want to buy fonts, Creative Market and Font Bundles have lots of free fonts too!

1 Like

Wow, Hanley is really nice!

1 Like

I use TTFs most of the time, but OTFs work fine too.

The one I get asked about the most is Satisfaction. There are free for personal use versions all over if you want to get a feel for it. Otherwise, I also follow HungryJpeg, FontBundles, DealJumbo, Design Bundles, and probably more for free fonts and cheap font packs.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.