Font sale at MyFonts

I had a Pre-XP computer that you could literally install as many as you could stick in a ‘fonts’ folder.

Of course, since it did load every single one of those fonts into memory, it really started to drag its feet around 11,000 fonts active.

1 Like

Holy wackamoley! Yeah. We found(I must confess I think it was xp) that we could dump all the fonts into the folder we wanted but it would only keep X amount installed at any one time.

Actually, it started dragging its feet around 600 fonts, but had more than 14,000 installed…and over 800,000 clipart images, etc.

1 Like

Both are acceptable so I went for the more confusing one. :wink:

2 Likes

I can’t believe I got quoted and immortalized in stone on this very forum. :exploding_head:

Not the legacy I was looking to leave behind. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A contribution that shall never be forgotten.

Haha!

Single stroke fonts are great for milling and laser cutting, because they’re much faster to cut than fonts with width (which turn into etching on laser, and more cutting on mill).

Agreed. If you’ve got a good source, let us know! Especially one that works well in Illustrator.

Exactly! Check out http://imajeenyus.com/computer/20150110_single_line_fonts/index.shtml . It explains why single stroke fonts are useful and then provides links to a bunch to download. Scoring a font is dramatically faster than engraving, since the head has to move only on the path of the letters rather than raster scanning the whole area. Admittedly not as pretty, but fantastic for rapidly labeling parts in a laser cut design, that sort of thing.

1 Like

Already tried those (not all of them, just a few) and they didn’t play well in Illustrator–still got some spurious closing and filling of spaces. But, thanks!

Yes, some apps close the single-line fonts, causing weird things to happen (like turning a C into a filled oval). As the article explains:

Open vs. closed fonts. Some fonts are closed and will show a “closing line” if the software doesn’t understand this. Rhino has an “Allow single stroke fonts” option which disables drawing of the closing line - other programs (e.g. Illustrator) don’t have this and the line(s) must be removed manually.

Given that perhaps it’s worth trying a few more to see which ones work nicely in Illustrator.

Single line fonts work great in milling control programs, and in several CAD programs I’ve used. In GravitDesigner (a free SVG drawing program) you can type text, then convert the fonts to paths, and those cut or score fine in GFUI.

2 Likes

Wish I had Rhino, but it’s too rich for my blood. But thanks! I really do need to look into this a little more deeply–I have backburnered (is that a word?) this for too long.