Fonts from design program vs GUI

I use Inkscape as my primary vector program and find little to complain about. However deciding when a line is straight and does not need an internode is a lot more complex that it would seem, When I find that Inkscape has added too many points I remove them, and add them when too few have been done I add them by double clicking and fixing the line. I have not seen an exclusively vector editor that has no problems in that area.

By comparison the GFUI is “live” as you can change it at any time and as such constantly updated repairing any glitch as it goes.

1 Like

Inkscape is not horrible, especially since it is free. Sometimes things work for me then other times it’s a major hassle. But I believe you are correct regarding the nodes. I just checked and for the letter M it showed 92 nodes! Pretty sure that many is way too much.

1 Like

Thanks, but I think I have it figured out. I appreciate your input.

I edited my original post and uploaded the SVG. But I’m pretty sure the main problem is the fact that there are way too many noded in each letter??? You can take a look if you want, but I hate for you to waste wood and time.

I edited the original post to upload the SVG. But I.m pretty sure that there are way too many noded in each letter. So for future purposes, I need to learn how to get rid of some of the unneeded nodes.

1 Like

If you’re going to engrave, you can just convert it to a bitmap and not worry about nodes.

4 Likes

Node count is not causing the issue. It is mechanical.

I have a certain popular file that I have printed multiple times with (iirc) something like 30,000 nodes (which I edited down from over 100,000 as the GF UI could not handle the original.) I am not a fan of rasterizing, As a vector, I have printed it at the extreme limits of the size of the bed and as “medallions” down as small as a couple of inches.

2 Likes

I’ll agree with everyone else that this is mechanical.

But if you still think it’s something different between art created in GFUI and something created in Inkscape, you should do a side-by-side experiment.

e.g.,

I took the “US Congress” from your SVG, and put it next to similar text I made in GFUI.

I’d set the engrave settings the same for each, and then engrave as part of the same job, on the same material. And see if anything comes out different.

Now as for your artwork, your number of nodes is very reasonable. Nothing you should worry about there.

There is some weirdness in the name though, where you actually have 3 paths.
You probably outlined the original stroke, but didn’t clean up the leftover bits you didn’t need.

Hee’s what it looks in Illustrator in “outline view”

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you😊

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.