Food for printing

I want to talk foodstuff! I know that only a particular kind of chocolate can be used, right? I’d forgotten the detail. The nori “printing” is what wowed a lot of people who saw the video.

What have you tried? And can I sear tuna with it?

I see a future where food trucks will be selling laser etched burrito’s…
tortilla’s appear to be a perfect medium for it.

yeah but it kinda ruins the finding the image of Jesus in my tortilla doesn’t it?

I think you should be able to engrave tuna meat. Below is a link to a youtube video where a laser engraves a steak and they grill it later. Not a glowforge laser though, but should be no different.

Depends what you intend to do with it later, but wouldn’t it be better to just get a piece of metal in the shape of whatever you wan’t to engrave, heat it up really high and just mark it like they do with cattle branding?

I’ve done some pretty silly things with bread at the local makerspace, and I plan on doing more ridiculous things with this for dinner parties.

In one of the videos (I think it’s the Tested video), Dan mentions that one of the keys to cutting chocolate is to freeze it first.

So much crazy stuff with food!

For the video shoot, we used a chocolate candy that doesn’t need to be tempered like real chocolate, because we’re lazy. It doesn’t melt, get fingerprints, etc. WIlton Melts, if I recall. It took hours of fussing to get the cut settings right.

For ‘regular chocolate’, I found that freezing and engraving works well for whole chocolate bars.

Glowforge has a software-controllable focus lens, so theoretically you can defocus and cook thin things. We haven’t tried this yet. We want to.

Seaweed is easy and amazing. Protip: do a california roll (rice on the outside), then roll it in seaweed.

This is a good time for me to restate that, out of an abundance of caution, we must recommend you not use your Glowforge for both edibles and inedibles, but dedicate it to one or the other.

PS: if you look carefully in the video, you can see there’s saran wrap between the seaweed and the rice so it didn’t wilt on set. Unfortunately that means I didn’t get to eat it!

1 Like

We also found that its fun to sprinkle sugar on top of a bar, or, well, anything, really, and use the laser to caramelize engravings into it; then you can just brush off the excess. It’s not perfect, but it’s neat when it works.

2 Likes

Genius @jrnelson. I want to try this immediately.

Just got an email newsletter from Ponoko- look at one of their featured stories!

http://blog.ponoko.com/2015/11/11/ideas-for-creative-agencies-and-brands-24/

Ha! My first laser cut parts were via Ponoko, but I don’t recall them offering nori as a substrate.

2 Likes

Ándele dan!

Try this! :smiley:

4 Likes