Frank Lloyd Wright inspired Lamp

Here is my latest.

A gift to my mom for her birthday. She recently went to Chicago and visited a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright. She came back with an idea of doing something with my GF but she didn’t know what. I designed and built this without her knowing. It was inspired by this image https://images.app.goo.gl/jWEm1eGv4DJPc2qKA

It is PG 1/8 walnut and 1/8 acrylic.

Next time I should increase the edges thickness, it is quite fragile at the moment after I had to reduce the width of the lamp from 3" to 2 7/8".

After I gave it to her, she was quite pleased and proud, but she found the bulb I used was too hot, she changed it to a fridge bulb and it give a better effect and no heated smell. I am still waiting for those beauty shots.

71 Likes

Oooh! Love it! I’m a big FLW fan! :sunglasses::+1:

6 Likes

Nice work.

Maybe try an LED bulb? They throw far less heat for the same brightness. Dimmable LED and a lamp dimmer will make it even more versatile.

Like this:
Lutron Credenza C.L Plug-In Lamp Dimmer for dimmable LED, Halogen and Incandescent Bulbs, TTCL-100H-WH, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DE5ONC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0Dp9CbAF465BW

5 Likes

All the ones I had access were either directional or too blue tinted

With LEDs you get a color temperature. Daylight LEDs come in at 5000K which is pretty blue. Warm white tend to be 2700K which feels fairly yellow to me.

I like the philips dimmables that get warmer (in color) as they get dimmer. They’re pretty good. Let’s see if I can find a link…

Ah here we go, they call it “warm glow”.

Phillips LED Dimmable A19 Light Bulb with Warm Glow Effect 800-Lumen, 2200-2700 Kelvin, 9.5-Watt (60-Watt Equivalent), E26 Base, Frosted, Soft White, 4-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CFRCGKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Rzq9Cb8RWRCXC

Home Depot carries them and usually has a dimmer setup on display if you want to try before you buy.

I’ve replaced my bedside lamp bulbs with these, as well as a couple of table lamps in my living room. Nobody ever notices that they’re LEDs.

4 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

That looks fantastic!

2 Likes

Gorgeous work.
I have done similar but have used the available LED “candles” that have a flickering light and are very cool with no heating at all . Making the inside White is a great idea.

3 Likes

Wow, love the design. You’ve inspired me to try to make a lamp as well, once my forge comes in that is. I agree with trying an LED bulb. I get mine at Ikea anytime I’m in one lol, super cheap and they don’t get hot at all.

1 Like

Ooooo, very nice!

1 Like

This is stunning!

Not sure what you meant by this though:

1 Like

To fit in the 6"x12" walnut panel I used, at first I designed with 3" in width of the lamp, but after designing everything and about to cut, I realise the cut pattern were too near each other. So I hastily correct it by reducing the overall width, from 3" to 2 7/8" by reducing the outer edge of the lamp. But that lead to it being quite thin and at assembly, so broke/ complained. So next time, I will keep the outer edge dimensions to about 1/8, and reduce the inner design instead, longer to do but safer for assembly and long term use.

1 Like

Just beautiful! She will really enjoy it!

3 Likes

This is absolutely lovely!

2 Likes

She did :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Balancing open areas to let light out and strength to hold the piece together is always a challenge.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of GE Bright Stik LED Bulbs:

1 Like

That’s pretty cool! I found this file somewhere online and cut it out of 3mm plywood and backed it with tracing paper. I put a color-changing LED array in mine and it sort of gives it a stained glass look.

12 Likes

I would be interested in it. What is it made of?

It’s made of 3mm Baltic birch plywood that I got on Amazon.