Free File Friday! It's a thing! LOL

Happy Friday Everyone!

Made this a while ago to test bending material without living hinges. Pretty simple file Black is score, Red is cut. On the Leafbowl2 file you will want to Score 2 times. I used 1/8" mdf for this. Haven’t tested it with actual 1/8" wood, but it should work, you just may have to score 3 times.

Once you have all the pieces, just glue the leaves to the stem/legs and slide them into the base. They are designed to overlap one side. :slight_smile: hope you like it, let me know if you have questions!

LeafBowl1.pdf (53.5 KB) LeafBowl2.pdf (45.7 KB)

63 Likes

Thank your for the lovely files, but of more importance to me is the new technique you are teaching some of us. Your generous spirit has made this Friday a happier day for me.

13 Likes

Thank you! This is a technique I used all the time in my wood working. This pieces was a test to see if it would work for the GF. I have never been a fan of Living Hinges. I wanted a solid face. It is fun to test out new concepts. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Amazing, thanks for sharing…free file Friday…hmmm…

5 Likes

I use to do it a lot last year. Just got busy and got away from it. Trying to get back on the sharing bus! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I just really like the way it sounded. I think I have all of the file you shared because they are all super amazing. I’ve been thinking if I have anything to share.

3 Likes

Ah cool. I bet everyone has something they could share. We could have 40 boxes being shared and there might be that one that helps someone out with an idea or a concept.

6 Likes

Yeah, my only issue is that I feel like lately, I’ve been seeing everyone’s hard work and generosity being sold or shared on other sites. I swear the other day I got an email and I saw so many things that looked familiar…but with variations. :thinking: I definitely spent way too much time dwelling over it. :rofl:

4 Likes

Yeah. I see that too. I just have to hope people will do the right thing. And if not, someone will let me know so I can do something about it.

2 Likes

Another great free file - and potential Christmas present for someone! Intrigued about the NON-use of the living hinge here. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Thanks. There isn’t a living hinge. Were you thinking of adding one?

1 Like

Sorry, never mind, read too quickly… i thought you added a LH inb order to bend it; but you avoided using them! My oops!

2 Likes

HAHA. All good!

2 Likes

Yay, the leaf bowl! Thanks so much for your generosity! I think I like Fridays even more than I used to.

4 Likes

HAHA. I am right there with you!

1 Like

Thank you, very beautiful.

3 Likes

I am new to GF I have only had mine for a month now. I am learning so much. I was wondering if it uses a score instead of a living hinge, are the score marks what makes it bend. I am very visual and do not see the bottom side of the pieces, so I am trying to wrap my head around how it bends. This is such a beautiful piece and I want to try making it on 1/8 ply or my Brazilian cherry wood. Thank you in advance. If the answer is there, I am sorry if I missed it. Have a wonderful day guys.

3 Likes

Yes the score is what makes it bend. Removing material allows for you to close up that space. I would test it before wasting a good piece of wood. I know it works on Mdf because it has a bit of flexibility anyway. I hope that helps.

6 Likes

Yes this helps thank you so much for your response. I have some cardboard I am out of Mdf right now, and being new I have made some costly mistakes. LOL. Its all good though, you have to make mistakes to learn.

2 Likes

That is so true! I have made many!!!

1 Like