Free File Friday - Simple little Clam Shell Hinged Box

Happy Friday Everyone!!!

Just a really quick (6 mins to cut and score) project! Someone needed a box and I made it for them so I figured someone would want to make it for someone else.

1/8" Material - this one is MDF (of course) and you can make it taller by adding more middle sections or even cutting the middle sections out of a thicker material. If you use thicker material for the center sections, you will still need to cut the top section with the tabs for the hinges out of 1/8". :slight_smile:

Hope you like! Personal use only, do not sell the finished product or the files or any alterations you make to the files. :slight_smile:

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

EAD_Clam_Shell_Box.pdf (173.9 KB) EAD_Clam_Shell_instructions.pdf (2.7 MB)

80 Likes

Very nice, thank you for your continued generosity and creativity.

4 Likes

I like the free files things. They help me work on stuff I will use in other things. So win-win!

6 Likes

I like just seeing how you make hinges. I was looking at the picture for a second wondering why you don’t have to adjust the tab if you go higher, then I took a look at the pattern and I’m like “that’s so simple it’s genius!” I spend way too much time thinking through hinges that I forget what I even needed them for.

4 Likes

Thank you! And trust me, there are days when I even wonder if I know how to design! LOL

4 Likes

This is lovely! I’m going to make one out of the light blue clear acrylic. Alas, wish I had some 1/8" glass green. Thank you so much for sharing one of your amazing designs with us!

3 Likes

Awesome! I can’t wait to see what it looks like in acrylic. If the acrylic is thicker than .124 you may need to adjust the slots for the hinges. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, this is so adorable!!! Thank you!

2 Likes

You are welcome!

2 Likes

My favorite MIL comes to mind - well I only have one, haha, but we’re terribly fond of one another. She loves anything shell and ocean related.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

HAHA. Then this is the perfect gift!!!

3 Likes

I know you probably already thought of that, but I hate when I waste material. LOL

2 Likes

I second that. Hinges have been my nemesis, turns out I’m just thinking too hard about them.

3 Likes

There are so many ways to make hinges. I always try to go with the easiest way. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

1 Like

Haha…not necessarily. I always think I’ve learned my lessons…but, then something slips by me again.

3 Likes

Ooooo, thanks! I think this could look very pretty with mother of Pearl inlay, maybe line it with velvet, etc. it would make a great Mother’s Day gift, and we can start working on it early.

5 Likes

You are always thinking ahead. Me, I’m like, ohhh that would be fun to make. LOL

4 Likes

You are such a dear; thank you for the design.

4 Likes

You are welcome!

3 Likes