I’m not happy with this one yet, so the final design is going to probably change significantly, but I wanted to show it anyway, since it’s the one with the really tight inlay I was talking about in another thread.
I’ve got an old boring napkin holder in the kitchen - it’s totally dullsville, and I wanted something with a little more oomph.
(I’ve got a strange mix of French Country Cafe’/Art Deco going in the kitchen, so I settled on a fleur-de-lis for the holder.)
I got to playing with a design that had a hinged decoration on the front, that will hold the napkins no matter how few or how many are there. It still needs work - it’s too hard to drill the holes for the hinge, although it will probably work fine when we get some thicker Proofgrade in to work with.
(Or I might just affix it permanently. Depends on how I feel when I get back to it. Who knows?)
I’m also not crazy about the dark walnut - I was going for subtle on this one, but i think next time I’ll go with Maple or Cherry for a little more contrast.
I did an inlay of faux Purpleheart - tell me if you think it looks like the real thing, and I’ll tell you how I did it. (My way is a lot cheaper.)
The kerf on this one was not adjusted at all, and the fit was tight. I had to force it in, and had a hard time getting it aligned. Zeeeee-ro clearance. And it wouldn’t have worked if there hadn’t been cutouts in the design. Might have been because of the coloration process on the veneer, but it’s something we need to keep in mind if we use the technique.
If it does turn out that dampening the unfinished veneer causes it to swell enough that the kerf disappears, I’ve got an idea for not kerf adjusting inlays, misting them a bit once they are in place, and being happy, happy, happy about the tight fit.