From book to block to print again... The Hatter

Hi!

Haven’t posted in a bit but just finished a big project and I thought I would share it.

My boss let me scan the illustrations from his 1872 first edition of Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll - illustrations by Tenniel.

I documented the entire process in Photoshop of getting to a pure black image as well as the post processing to make the file for the wood block engraved on the glowforge as well as making a mask (in Illustrator) and how I pulled the prints.

All of the videos are here:

http://jaredjared.com/alice/

47 Likes

Close-up pic of the engraved block would be nice.

1 Like

17 Likes

Nice. About how deep is the engrave? What kind of wood?

Love that! That guy drinking the tea is fantastic! Nice work!

2 Likes

It’s MDF. And how deep measured by?

Gorgeous work!

A caliper. I would use the depth probe, #3 in this illustration…
Caliper

Very nice work on that! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I know what a caliper is - I just didn’t know if he meant settings or some other metric. When I get home I can check. I have different depths.

1 Like

Wonderful process. I learned something new, about masking for prints. I am surprised that the MDF holds up to water that well.

3 Likes

Depends on the mdf! The thing sheets have been great. I had a thick block that bubbled after I washed it the second time and is only now settling down but I think I may have gotten some Dawn dish soap on it instead of my orange.

mm, inches, whatever. Just curious how deep it is.

That’s awesome work! Thank you for showing it.

2 Likes

Looking at the video I’m gonna guess no deeper than 1mm/1/32".

I’m impressed at how clear the impression is - clearly this is heftier MDF than the stuff I had. Mine bristled like a brush after washing it.

1 Like

I would be looking to this stuff Put on a warped board you could roll it on very precisely.

I’ve seen it but the mdf is so much cheaper and it allows me to experiment more. Plus we have rubber allergies in my house and I’m not sure if it’s real rubber in it or not.

that is so cool! Thank you for sharing the process - great work!

1 Like

Wow. You have done some amazing work on some amazing illustrations. How nice to share an 1872 first edition. Don’t stay away so long next time.

6 Likes

Oh wow, that’s an extremely valuable book, and you have certainly reproduced it beautifully!

4 Likes

I checked and the hatter is 1mm deep. It’s 3.75mm and then engraved to 2.75mm.

7 Likes